News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Oh, some early ones saw no problem there. To the contrary, Cicero got decscribed as an 'anima naturaliter Christiana' who just had the misfortune of having lived a few decades too early. A lot of (latinized) Greek philosophy was seen as premonitions of Christ and Christian ideas.
A side effect was that the scientific ideas of these philosophers got appropriated too while those of their opponents got condemned.
E.g. the church adopted the continuum idea of matter because the Stoic philosophers supported it, while they condemned the atomic theory because it got supported by Epikur, who had become the Emmanuel Goldstein of church propaganda (totally distorting his ideas of moderation).
There is the theory that pope Urban actually saved Galileo's neck by having the trial at the time and under the conditions we know. There was a second charge in the making to accuse Galileo of atomistic beliefs, which would have been a sure-fire (pun intended) way to have him burned at the stake with no route of escape. But by having the trial early and limited to the charge of the forbidden teaching of heliocentric ideas as reality (not just model), he could get away with house arrest after public renounciation.

Last Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Last when was the last time a philosopher had real fire in his pants? Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

In what sense? If it was 'liar,liar, pants on fire', one would not have to look that far back.
Death by pyre has become a bit of a rarity for the profession, firing squads are more likely these days (but beating to death probably most common).
If you mean fiery soul, those guys likely prefer other titles than 'philosopher', those who still do tend to be more of the professorial type.

Last Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I guess the last time a true philosopher was endangered or killed. I know that certain voices are silenced every week but, with the exception of the muslim world, I doubt many philosophers had been killed for their trade in a while since WWII and even less since the fall of the Soviet Union.

Last besides totalitarian regimes only have outspoken regime philosophers Post

Swatopluk

Well, East Asia really started after WW2, and both Africa (not just Muslim parts) and South America are still not actually safe places for inrellectuals, of which philosophers are (with some rare exceptions) a subgroup. The guys murdered are just not as well known in 'the West' (otherwise some of them would likely be still alive). Btw, Platon himself was all for supressing critical inellectuals (and selling them as slaves) and was rather surprised when that got applied to himself (and suffered the ultimate humiliation of being freed by the Athenians he hated for their political system).

Last Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Certain kinds of intellectuals had their necks in peril not that long ago in South America but none that I know of was proposing something substantive philosophically, just droning the Marxist ethos, and that was in the fascist peak of the 70s.

Last any true philosopher would be properly hidden and sheltered in academia and no one else would care Post

Swatopluk

Don't underestimate the paranoia of totalitarian regimes. Qute willing to go even after the most unpolitical thinkers.

Last admittedly Marxism today has turned into neo-scholastics Post

Griffin NoName

How Marxist is Google Scholar?

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Depends on how much money it makes  ;)

Last a far cry from salon bolshevism Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Last I thought the Bolshevik was the Daily Kos Post

Griffin NoName

Isn't Kos some kind of lettuce?

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

No, The Kos is an earlier term (predating Newton and Leibniz) for higher mathematics and originally described all parts of math going beyond basic arithmetics (geometry was a science of its own).

Last Post

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Wasn't that King Wenceslas?

Last Post

Griffin NoName

No, but it might have been King Kong.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host