News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Scottish Independence

Started by Griffin NoName, December 15, 2013, 01:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Boris is very keen on airspacce over the Thames Estuary and as Mayor of London does not always tow the party line.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Send the food via V2 rockets...
;) :P :mrgreen:
---
I know the Euro isn't in it's shining moment but if the Irish could do it why not the Scots? Besides, isn't Scotland generating more revenue than England?
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

The EU has now said Scotland unlikely to be able to join, or something, can't remember exactly. They say the more negative stuff like this the more likely Scotland will vote yes to independence. It's not clear to me who is calling who's bluff.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Perhaps is a matter of consistency after the same stunt has been suggested in Catalonia and the immediate EU response was that they wouldn't be part of the EU (ie, have to apply and do all the leg work on the same level as other eastern European countries like Serbia), and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a quota in place for new applicants.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Yes, the news mentioned something about Catalonia, and showed some pictures of Catalonians at a local market.
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

I think a major reason is that the oil and gas at the basis of Scotland's current boom is going to run out in the foreseeable future. Then the country would become a sink again instead of a source.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Swatopluk on February 19, 2014, 06:51:47 AM
I think a major reason is that the oil and gas at the basis of Scotland's current boom is going to run out in the foreseeable future. Then the country would become a sink again instead of a source.

I wonder-- Iceland has made incredible strides using geothermal energy.

I wonder of Scotland could have similar success, if they looked.  (pure speculation-- I have no idea of the geology of Scotland)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

roystonoboogie

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on February 20, 2014, 09:01:10 PM
I wonder-- Iceland has made incredible strides using geothermal energy.

I wonder of Scotland could have similar success, if they looked.  (pure speculation-- I have no idea of the geology of Scotland)
I don't know about geothermal, but Scotland has wind and water in huge amounts. We also have lots of land with no people living on it. So we can do plenty of wind, wave and tidal generation (especially tidal! We have lots of sea lochs: kind-of like fjords, big long glacier scars with the tide rushing in and out twice a day).

Brushing aside the objections of Donald Trump, I think we could be the leader in Europe in renewable energy.

Quote from: Swatopluk on February 19, 2014, 06:51:47 AM
Become a sink again? Are you implying that we are a net drain rather than a net contributor? Any evidence to support that assertion?

As for oil, it will never actually run out. As the easily extracted oil dries up, the price of oil goes up, more difficult to extract oil becomes economically viable, but at a higher price. That is going to be the story across the world - it's just a question of whether Scotland can keep up with the market.

Quote from: Griffin NoName on February 18, 2014, 05:54:30 PM
The EU has now said Scotland unlikely to be able to join, or something, can't remember exactly. They say the more negative stuff like this the more likely Scotland will vote yes to independence. It's not clear to me who is calling who's bluff.
Are you talking about Barosso? He is one EU Commissioner. He does not talk for Spain, he does not talk for the EU.

In order for Scotland to join the EU, it would have to leave, or be removed from, the EU in the first place. The territory of Scotland is currently in the EU. I have an MEP, an EU Driving License, an EU Passport, I have a card that entitles me to medical treatment in any EU country. How does Westminster / Brussels / Barosso / whoever plan on removing all these things from me, and the other 5-and-a-bit million people in Scotland, before asking us if we want them back?

There is no mechanism to remove people, territory, a region or a country from the EU without their explicit democratic consent.

Griffin NoName

I don't know who I am talking about. May very well be Barosso. I wasn't really paying attention.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I totally forgot about tidal energy-- that is too cool.

I've seen any number of methods to capture this energy, from submersible propeller thingys to bobbing "ducks" to large gates which trap the incoming water (via one way valves) and then let it out through turbines (exactly like current hydro dams).

The only worry, to me, is damage to marine life.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)