News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Scottish Independence

Started by Griffin NoName, December 15, 2013, 01:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruder Cuzzen

Quote from: roystonoboogie on February 14, 2014, 09:34:50 PM
I'm not trying to be intolerant or provoke anyone. But what you are being told by the media about the pound is frankly wrong: it does not lie within the gift of the Westminster Government to stop an independent Scotland from using the pound. The pound is a common currency between Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England.

From the Act of Union 1707:
QuoteXVI. THAT from and after the Union, the Coin shall be of the same Standard and Value throughout the United Kingdom, as now in England, and a Mint shall be continued in Scotland; under the same Rules as the Mint in England, and the present Officers of the Mint continued, subject to such Regulations and Alterations as Her Majesty, her Heirs or Successors, or the Parliament of Great Britain shall think fit.
The Scots are exercising their universal human right to self-determination, as recognised in the Edinburgh Agreement, by having a referendum on whether to break or redefine certain aspects of that treaty. But that does not mean that we have to give all the pounds back: we want to keep the currency, we want to keep the value equivalency, we even want to keep the monarchy* (a union which dates back a further 102 years, but who's counting?)

The government of the rest of the UK (or rUK as it is known) wants to break or redefine these parts of the treaty. Fine. We'll tell them what we intend to do in that case. We will tell them that we will not take on any of the sovereign debt that the UK pound has incurred, like they are trying to tell us that we can't govern ourselves (we can), we're too small (we're not), or that we'll have to apply to join the European Union (explain how you plan to remove us from the EU first - I have an EU Passport and an EU Driving License, my country is a signatory that is in compliance with all EU treaties, we have members of the European Parliament who represent geographical constituencies in Scotland, and the EU expects to receive repayments for contributions to projects it has made in the geographical area of Scotland).

Scotland can continue to use the pound just like several US 'satellite countries' use the dollar. It's just that the Bank of England (which rUK intends to keep) can't regulate what we do, and they can't force us to repay debts that it has incurred. Without a negotiated monetary union, Scotland will never negotiate a debt repayment plan. Why would we, if rUK are being dicks about it? Hell, we'll even trade oil in the rUK pound and destabilise it, like happens to the dollar.

Scotland has proposed a reasonable and structured withdrawal from the union, keeping some bits, keeping some of the underlying structures. Not an ideal settlement from my perspective, but a realistic one. The UK government is using its statutory and legislative role (rather than its political role) to interfere in the process - David Cameron says that the decision is for the people of Scotland, and then brings the rest of the UK into it. I should point out that following DC and GO's outbursts this week, support for Yes has gone up.

*Personally, I'd privatise the monarchy and sell them to the highest bidder, probably Disney.

:ROFL:

Griffin NoName

I'm not trying to be intolerant or provoke anyone.

That was just saying I wasn't. Sorry if you thought I meant you were. I just meant I like discussing it for it's own sake, not grandstanding.

I bow to your wisdom on the media. Actually I wasn't really passing judgement - I was mostly saying I'd predicted what the govt. would say. Since the medi had a clip of GO saying it, I'm inclined to believe he said no  :mrgreen:
(of course it could be a video of a look-alike).

On the debt, I think I'm too thick to grasp it. Why doesn't England split from the UK and leave the Scots to pay it off?  ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

roystonoboogie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on February 15, 2014, 08:31:23 PMOn the debt, I think I'm too thick to grasp it. Why doesn't England split from the UK and leave the Scots to pay it off?  ;)
If you were to leave us the Bank of England, in theory you could. The debt was accrued to prop up the GBP, if you walk away from the currency you can walk away from the debt. But you also lose your credit rating, exchange rates, you need to replace the pound with something else... pensions... insurance... yadda dadda...

That's why we want to keep the pound, at least in the short term. It doesn't sever all the ties with England, but we don't necessarily want to cut all the ties: we want to be good neighbours, trade partners, co-operate on defence etc. We just don't want our immigration policy decided by what Nigel Farage thinks this week, we want to remove any possibility that you try to privatise our NHS the way you're privatising your own, and we're fed up with subsidising London and the Home Counties at the expense of not just Scotland but the North of England.

Griffin NoName

Ah yes. It's like DC wanting to choose which bits of the EU we obey......... like a pick and mix.

Quote from: roystonoboogie on February 16, 2014, 01:18:39 AM............we want to remove any possibility that you try to privatise our NHS the way you're privatising your own, and we're fed up with subsidising London and the Home Counties at the expense of not just Scotland but the North of England.

Not sure about the "you". I never voted for this lot, and neither did anyone I know. To me they are defintely "them". This country is totally undemocratic since the gagging law was passed. And DC never had a mandate to privatise the NHS, he said he wouldn't touch it, so betraying those who did vote for him.

I may support England, but not this England  :'(

(don't get me started on welfare).
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

roystonoboogie

In theory, in a democracy you can get rid of a government you hate by voting against it.

In Scotland we have consistently voted Labour in Westminster elections since 1955 (I think? It's late, I'm tired, can't be bothered with checking facts), and despite that we have ended up with Tory governments who invariably piss all over us since we never vote for them. Political scientists call it 'The Democratic Deficit', and it was the big driver behind devolution in 1997.

But this government... um... nobody voted for them. Seriously, this government was not elected. The Tories did not get a mandate to govern, neither did the Lib Dems. How come they get to say they have a mandate to do anything, let alone restructure the economy and the welfare state? And sell off the NHS?

These guys and gals are not looking at a second term. They are going to throw the next election like Manchester United getting knocked out of the Communities Cup in the first round because they can't be arsed with it. Unfortunately they are up against Glen Miller-Band. Or is it Steve Miller-Band? I can never remember. Either way, they could force the Tories to fail to lose by being even more ineffectual and out-of-touch than them, and then Cameron et al would have to spend another 4 years asset-stripping the place.

We're pretty sure the Geordies will want to secede and join Scotland, Liverpool and most of Merseyside is next on the list for conversion to Scottishness, if your particular part of England would like to start using the Zimbabwean Dollar but not being in debt, give us a shout...

Griffin NoName

Wow! You mean my little part of London could attach itself to Scotland? Great idea.

Part of my worry is that even if Labour get in, they won't reverse what the Tories have done.
Psychic Hotline Host

roystonoboogie

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

I was inclined to mention that too. But would the reaction be so mild?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

*Personally, I'd privatise the monarchy and sell them to the highest bidder, probably Disney.

:stick:  Them's fighting words!  ;)

Not because I have any particular love of the monarchy, but there's been quite enough of Canadian culture subsumed by The Borg already, thank you very much. We don't have the option of declaring independence from Amrika, despite being a sovereign nation already.  :P

Luckily, the small and thankfully unnoticed-by-Harper department that handles projects designed to brainwash and Canadianize sympathetic Americans into more tolerant and globally-minded individuals approves of this place. Viva the Canadian Cultural Counter-Revolution!  ;) ;) ;)
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on February 16, 2014, 06:43:43 PM
I was inclined to mention that too. But would the reaction be so mild?

Do  you mean the tone of my response if it you who posted instead of Roy?
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

No, I mean the reaction of the government, if such an important part of England would secede. A simple food blockade would probably not be the answer.

Darlica

Quote from: Aggie on February 16, 2014, 07:31:03 PM

Luckily, the small and thankfully unnoticed-by-Harper department that handles projects designed to brainwash and Canadianize sympathetic Americans into more tolerant and globally-minded individuals approves of this place. Viva the Canadian Cultural Counter-Revolution!  ;) ;) ;)

:ROFL:

I like that idea. Could they send a delegation to the old world too?
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk link=topic=3246.msg174157 msg174157 date=1392620418
No, I mean the reaction of the government, if such an important part of England would secede. A simple food blockade would probably not be the answer.

I am sure food could be dropped by parachute into the affected area. I suppose we would need passport control points around the M25 motorway.
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

I rather assume that the exiled Downing Streeters would call in the redcoats.
And unless the seceded London included the full Thames estuary any air drop would require crossing English airspace which would get closed.