News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Dream Monastery: Land vs. Location

Started by Aggie, August 07, 2010, 03:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

For a hypothetical physical Monastery, what would be the more important consideration, prices being equal?

Large amount of land (50 acres or more)

or

Close to major airports / along major tourist routes?

Debate!  :D

Another angle:  How far out of your way would you prepare to go to visit a physical Monastery, assuming you were flying in or driving somewhere near the area but not directly past it?
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Personally I would think that closer to a major airport is preferable, considering we're all so retired geographically.

If time weren't at a premium and peregrination is the idea, then perhaps a larger area (or a very nice location with a nice view) would be more attractive. In practical terms it well may be that this is a more sensible idea even if less siblings have the chance to visit, as it would be attractive for others to go and rent/stay.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Aside from our long-term Monastery community here, to be self-supporting a physical Monastery would need to attract visitors, whether that be drive-by tourists at the Toadfish store (selling whatever we produce, be it handicrafts, food products, veggies or anything else) or whether it be purposeful guests attending retreats / formal programs or just people coming to stay.

The West Coast, within an hour or so from Vancouver (or alternatively on the southern half of the Island) would be great from a year-round visitor perspective, but land is relatively expensive.  The interior of BC is good for summer tourists, especially anywhere near Kelowna (has a decently connected airport), and somewhat cheaper.  Some of the less traveled areas (Kootenays, for example) may be cheaper and still have some tourist exposure, but further from connected airports.

This one's not a bad compromise:
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=7967627&PidKey=-569520019

Provided there's road access, I'm not that concerned about infrastructure; lack of power is a good excuse to get off the grid, and water wells shouldn't be hard to install, as water is plentiful in BC.

Note: This is in Useless Speculation for a reason, it'd be a while, but less money = closer to reality.

WWDDD?

ivor

Swatopluk

A long time ago I posted the coordinates for a location in Norway I'd consider very suitable. Easy access by boat, the road could use some improvements though. Of course Norway is by definition remote.
This famous landmark is a short way down* the fjord, so it's not actually the middle of nowhere.
Buying real estate is not an option though. Difficult for Norwegians and legally close to impossible for foreigners (in general, not just at the specific location). A lease might be possible.

*or up. The location I have in mind is closer to the fjord entrance
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on August 07, 2010, 06:45:11 AM
Can you get internet access there?

Exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps a wind-up version?

Quote from: Swatopluk on August 07, 2010, 09:06:21 AM
Easy access by boat, the road could use some improvements though.

I don't do boats !
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Well, there is a road (maybe even tarmacked by now). But you have to walk the last part of the way in any case and it is a bit steep in places. I doubt that rolling staircases would be fitting.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on August 07, 2010, 10:52:12 AM
Well, there is a road (maybe even tarmacked by now). But you have to walk the last part of the way in any case and it is a bit steep in places. I doubt that rolling staircases would be fitting.

Sounds like it would be hard to arrange wheelchair access......
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on August 07, 2010, 06:45:11 AM
Can you get internet access there?

Probably limited to satellite, although one might be able to persuade the telephone company to run a line up there as it's only 15 km outside of Grand Forks.
WWDDD?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

I kind of like the idea of having a retreat of sorts and your compromise would be fine with me.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

ivor

Satellite blows.  If I can get a real connection there's probably no end to what I would contribute.  Is there anything closer?

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 07, 2010, 10:57:09 AM
Quote from: Swatopluk on August 07, 2010, 10:52:12 AM

Sounds like it would be hard to arrange wheelchair access......

What are novices for but carrying the honoured but disabled ;)
Or what about a chairlift?

Darlica

I have always thought of the monastery as a quiet and calm place, a retreat of some sort, so close to a major city and airport would not be attractive IMHO.

I think it is important that there are some means of public transport available close by, but not necessarily all the way to the front door. Some sort of transfer service from the nearest rail-road/bus station would be an option.   

I think location is important if you would like the place to attract tourists, lakeside or seaside or with a nice view over a pretty valley is a crucial selling point if you want to attract people to come and stay for the place it self.
If you where just interested in running a B&B or a "stay the night hotel" the priorities would be different.

Personally I rather drive 100 km extra for that special place to stay, and, if it's a place worth building my holiday around (in the vicinity of other nice and interesting places, vicinity in my mind means daytrip) I'll do a 600-700 km drive for a 7 to 10 days stay with out a doubt.

That said. I drive 550 km  (one way) to L's summerhouse 2 or 3 times a year and 70 km (also one way) just to visit my mother over a day or two or even for just a couple of hours.   
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Opsa

I looked up the climate in Grand Forks, and it looks very nice!

Here's some transportation information.

As for trains, I've taken Amtrak's Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle by way of Spokane, Washington (127 miles from Grand Forks- not bad!) and it was one of the best train rides I've ever had. I'd love to do it again!

Griffin NoName

Surely the location should be half way between the US, Europe and Australia? :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host