News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Dream Monastery: Land vs. Location

Started by Aggie, August 07, 2010, 03:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

^ what! ^

Are you now proposing an orbiting satellite?   ;)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 09, 2010, 07:41:58 PM
Surely the location should be half way between the US, Europe and Australia? :mrgreen:

That would be something like Madagascar
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

We ought to have at least an European Monastery, an American Monastery and an Australian Monastery, eventually. They should all be on water, to make them pirate accessible.

Swatopluk

Norway is old pirate country. The very word viking has connections to that.

ivor

Quote from: pieces o nine on August 10, 2010, 06:34:46 AM
^ what! ^

Are you now proposing an orbiting satellite?   ;)

That would work! :mrgreen:

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Swatopluk on August 10, 2010, 08:16:48 AM
Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 09, 2010, 07:41:58 PM
Surely the location should be half way between the US, Europe and Australia? :mrgreen:
That would be something like Madagascar
Nah, somewhere in Panamá or Costa Rica, I could consider making one there for those with tropical desires. ;) :mrgreen:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Do we have a geographer here that could decide that question?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I'm no geographer but if you trace a line between Stockholm and Melbourne the mid point** seems to be somewhere in Chiapas, Mexico*. For the North American siblings the mid point could be between Colorado and Nebraska.

*very cool if you like Mayan ruins
** there are 2 alternative routes of which at this point I can't tell which is the shortest, for one of those flying south east, the mid point is in the Adaman and Nicobar islands in the Indian Ocean. Flying North East the mid point is closer to Japan.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on August 10, 2010, 07:09:52 PM
I'm no geographer but if you trace a line between Stockholm and Melbourne the mid point** seems to be somewhere in Chiapas, Mexico*. For the North American siblings the mid point could be between Colorado and Nebraska.

Ok. We need  4 points A Stockholm B London C Melbourne D the midpoint between Colorado and Nebraska. Draw lines between these points. Find the midpoints of all the lines. Join up the mid points. Find the centre of the resulting object.

I suspect we will end up in the sea. Which is fine if we can build a platform.

;D
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Strictly spoken the point wich is closest to all siblings on average will be far undeground ;)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

If I average latitudes and longitudes for most active siblings I get Atlantis, that is, about 600 km in front of the Pillars of Hercules or about 500km NE from Madeira.

The average for European Siblings is in the North Sea about 250km east of Aberdeen
The average for North American Siblings is in the outskirts of Little Rock, Arkansas

If I average the European avg with the N. American one and Melbourne I get about 100km SE of Jamaica

You can see the spreadsheet I used to calculate those positions here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As-IIVqWlkeGdGhUVnNHZnk0Rkw5b1MwbndISm5uSEE&hl=en

Swatopluk

A proper model would be to treat the active siblings as gravitating bodies, then to calculate the force map for the surface of the Earth looking for minima ;)

Opsa

I would absolutely love to see the Mayan ruins!

What if we went for political geography instead? Canada seems more like a political climate that I could stomach than, well, anywhere south in the Americas.

Plus, Aggie's got leads. This little fishy would think seriously about migrating.

Swatopluk

Iceland should be cheap to buy at the moment. Glaciers and volcanos would be a nice background scenery.

I currently consider to learn Icelandic but the grammar seems to put Greek and Latin to shame.

Sibling DavidH

C'mon, Swato, if you've got Old Norse you're nearly there.

-----------------------------------
Quote from: ZonoThe average for European Siblings is in the North Sea about 250km east of Aberdeen

I'm about  N52 06 24   W 2 43 38.  If you add that in it should pull the average point quite a lot west.