News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

"Canadian Smalltalk" (weather - all nations included!) Thread

Started by Aggie, November 29, 2006, 06:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Not as bad here now. I got away with a lighter-the-pea-coat coat this morning.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling Chatty

I actually ran the car air conditioner this afternoon. Of course, I was having a sever carcinoid crisis and was beet red, burning up and shivering all at once.

We're due for temps in the teens again next week.

This sig area under construction.

Vita Curator

It is finally getting to be winter here.  The low yesterday morning was 8 degrees (F).  I had to make a big fire in my wood stove, I was freezing.

Lambi, when I lived in Pgh and lived in an apt. I couldn't plug my car in because of street parking, so I used to put a blanket on the engine on nights it got down below 0 (F).  :D
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

How well did the blanket work?

BTW - what's a "Pgh"?

Aggie

Seems to be the usual Calgary routine here - generally sunny, and fluctuations in the weather so that you never know which coat to wear, though it's a bit cold and looking to get colder for the weekend.

The apartment is still so bloody hot that we've been running a fan in the window to pre-chill the bedroom for a couple of hours before retiring. ::)   I'm also constantly running a humidifier because it's too dry...  the houseplants are loving the heat, humidity and light from the floor-to-ceiling south-facing glass doors.
WWDDD?

-11 and snowing here, last time I checked.

Vita Curator

Quote from: Sibling Lambicus the Toluous on January 30, 2007, 02:56:10 PM
How well did the blanket work?

BTW - what's a "Pgh"?

Hee hee, a Pgh is the abbreviation for Pittsburgh (PA).  I suffered through some very cold winters there and the blanket at least helped the engine to turn over in the morning.  It remained sluggish though until I went a mile or two or three or four!!

I used to have to add a little container of "dry gas" to the tank also when I filled up, I just did it though because everyone told me to, don't know if it did anything.  Not very mechanically inclined to say the least.
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

Neat - I used to have to leave my van out in the cold for several days at a time while I was away for work.  In really cold weather, the automatic transmission wouldn't shift into neutral on its own - if I didn't move the gear selector to "N", it'd stall as I coasted to the stop sign.

Hmm... I have never ever heard of "dry gas".

BTW - slightly warmer today and windy.  There are nice white caps on Lake Ontario.

The Meromorph

"Dry Gas" is a particular brand of isopropyl alcohol. You add it to a tanklful of gas which may contain water (not miscible with gasolene) and it forms a milky compound with the water (which compound is miscible with gasolene).
The water can either come from condensation in a partially empty gas tank (not likely these days because all cars have gas fumes pumped back into the tank), or from condensation in the gas-station's storage tanks.

The compound burns satisfactorily in the engine, and much more importantly, will not freeze in your gas-lines, plugging them up and immobilising your car.
Dances with Motorcycles.

Quote from: The Meromorph (Quasimodo) on January 31, 2007, 04:56:57 PM
"Dry Gas" is a particular brand of isopropyl alcohol. You add it to a tanklful of gas which may contain water (not miscible with gasolene) and it forms a milky compound with the water (which compound is miscible with gasolene).

Oh... so it's just a brand of gas line antifreeze?

Aggie

Heh, or rubbing alcohol.... 

I thought it was raining, but it turned out to be window washers.  Fog and snow have descended on downtown...
WWDDD?

I heard an apt line this weekend up in the middle of a chilly Quebec:

"I've heard the Eskimos have a hundred words for snow.  They're probably all swear words."

Aggie

-20 C and snowing lightly.

Other than a little sun on Saturday, it's been non-stop *light* beautiful fluff snow all week, slowly accumulating.  I wanna go tobogganing this weekend, if it doesn't flip-flop and melt out.
WWDDD?

Hey - anyone heard from Outis lately?

The news is saying that her part of the world has received several feet of snow over the past week or so.

We may need to organize an airlift of butter.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

But being careful of the airdrop.. ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.