News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

"Canadian Smalltalk" (weather - all nations included!) Thread

Started by Aggie, November 29, 2006, 06:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Note:  Split from elsewhere.  Canadian Smalltalk is 90% weather-based, unless beer is involved.  What's it doing outside where you are?

The cold snap looks to continue here, although it might get warm enough for a walk. It warmed up to -19 C so far today....  Hoping for -12 thisafter.

In other words... a weekend for staying in and warm.

WWDDD?

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Quote from: Agujjim on November 29, 2006, 06:36:23 PM
It warmed up to -19 C so far today....  Hoping for -12 thisafter.

Yow.

High of 14 here today.  It feels unnatural.

But we're supposed to get colder for the weekend, so we'll probably be in your shoes soon enough.

Sibling Chatty

Up to 80F+ again today...

It's s'posed to get cold tonight. Maybe below freezing!
This sig area under construction.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Temp's been dropping steadily since this afternoon.  Tomorrow (Thursday) should drop to 22F by afternoon.

Raining, currently. Supposed to go below freezing near midnight, and rain--->snow/sleet.

FUN!
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Bluenose

About 34oC today, mid 90s in Farenheit.

Could use some rain.  Actually, could use a lot of rain.

Hear that there's a good chance that the current El Nino is showing signs of breaking up before it has got fully developed.  If so, it can't happen soon enough.  The suggestion is that we may begin to get some decent rains in late summer/autumn.  We shall see.

Sibling Bluenose
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Quote from: Agujjim on November 29, 2006, 06:36:23 PM
Note:  Split from elsewhere.  Canadian Smalltalk is 90% weather-based, unless beer is involved.
Or hockey, depending on the company.

But speaking of beer, I tried Alpine for the first time on the weekend.  One of the guys I was with brought some up from New Brunswick (they don't sell it in Ontario).

QuoteWhat's it doing outside where you are?

When I was up around Bancroft on the weekend, Elephant Lake was just starting to freeze over.  Well, more like it had already partly frozen over and the ice was melting a little while I was there.

It'll be a while before it's thick enough to for the snowmobiles (or "snow machines", if you're from certain parts of Canada), to say nothing about driving across it.

Lake Nippissing gets some good ice.  They still had huts on the lake in April the last time I was up in North Bay.

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Lambicus the Toluous on November 30, 2006, 03:26:15 PMOr hockey, depending on the company.

But speaking of beer, I tried Alpine for the first time on the weekend.  One of the guys I was with brought some up from New Brunswick (they don't sell it in Ontario).

Nah, hockey's serious discussion. ;)

How was the Alpine?  We get it here, but it's a little steep for tins...

Do you ever race on ice?  Dad used to race dirtbikes on ice, and I know there were some auto races back in the day, too.  Don't know about now, with the warmer winters and all.
WWDDD?

Quote from: Agujjim on November 30, 2006, 03:43:37 PM
How was the Alpine?  We get it here, but it's a little steep for tins...
It was all right.  Sort of a toned-down version of Moosehead, I guess, roughly equivalent to Canadian.  A decent sit-on-the-deck-in-July-and-have-a-beer beer, though if it costs more than Export, I'd probably just get the Molson stuff.

QuoteDo you ever race on ice?  Dad used to race dirtbikes on ice, and I know there were some auto races back in the day, too.  Don't know about now, with the warmer winters and all.

I don't personally (well, sometimes there's icy patches, but not a proper "ice race"), but there's a fair bit of it around here.  In Ontario, there's an ice racing series in Minden and another inThunder Bay; they're usually considered good series for beginners because the costs are low, especially for the rubber-to-ice classes: it doesn't take much to get your wheels spinning, so there's no point spending money on your engine after that. 

In addition to the local races, the big boys and girls come over from Europe every year to Sherbrooke for a big ice racing festival.

Aggie

Toned-down Moosehead?  I'll stick with the original. ::)

Got to 0 C overnight, and looks to be falling all day.  Continued hell on the roads, I'm sure.  Downtown and all the residential area roads are pretty much straight snowpack, and this'll make sure any of the bare pavement is thoroughly iced up.

WWDDD?

Sibling Kephra (Tansy)

I'm in the North.  It's cold.  It's wet.  It's that annoying 'just before the weather breaks' weather.  Supposed to snow this weekend.  :)
Insanity takes it's toll; please have correct change.

Bluenose

Well, this morning (7 am) its overcast, but the forcast is for a mainly sunny day with a top of around 27oC.  Much more reasonable than yesterday, pity I have to go to work.  You blokes can keep your sub-zero temperatures!

It's a bit too early to be thinking too much about beer, but i just might be forced to have a little something later on. <grin>

Sibling Bluenose
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Forced?  ;D

Very cold for my part of the country, since we normally don't even pull in our plants in the winter. Dropped to 30* last night, about 42* at a quarter to eight this morning.

"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Bluenose

I assume you're talking degrees Fahrenheit.  In which case that sounds pretty chilly to me...

Sibling Bluenose

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Yesh, I am. Afraid I didn't switch them.
Another freeze tonight, methinks. ><
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

I was all excited by the weather forecast for a "winter storm" this morning.  I wake up, look outside and...

Rain.  Lots of rain.  No snow at all.

>:(