News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Good News Channel

Started by Darlica, May 28, 2008, 09:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

B-in-a-Q: this is toadily awesome! It may also explain why you are in a quantum state of faith.

I have a mysterious grandmother too, whom one of my uncles found to not have any records. She was very intelligent and spoke several languages, even wrote a children's Spanish book. I've always been curious about her. Where did you guys look to find out the info?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Opsa on January 23, 2011, 03:26:58 PM
B-in-a-Q: this is toadily awesome! It may also explain why you are in a quantum state of faith.

I have a mysterious grandmother too, whom one of my uncles found to not have any records. She was very intelligent and spoke several languages, even wrote a children's Spanish book. I've always been curious about her. Where did you guys look to find out the info?

We were fortunate, in that one of my family located records back in Tennessee, where the Cherokee and her intended had to post bond to get married-- in those days it was somewhat illegal for whites to marry natives; you had to cough up $1800 bond money first (essentially a penalty tax).  Quite a bit of change, if you're just a modest farmer in the late 1800's ... anywho, the records of that bond were still there in the Tennessee courthouse.  And they'd also located a local newspaper article about the event, too.   I guess Tennessee was the nearest "Indian Affairs" office, as they were in Eastern Missouri at the time of the marriage.

They returned to Missouri, and together raised several kids, but the Native heritage was simply not spoken of.  It wasn't until some of the family died, that it even came out.  But the sons served in the War, like any other North American did in those days, even though they'd have been 1/2 blood "indian".
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Cool! Congratulations!
---
I know that I have Amerindian heritage somewhere but it's almost impossible to know which tribe(s) where and when. The Spaniards mixed very happily with the natives (as opposed to the English) from the very beginning, in fact according to a genetic study 99% of Colombians have genetic material from Amerindians, Caucasians, and Africans, we are as mongrel as anyone can be.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Mongrel is cool.  I sometimes wish, that there were no racial characteristics at all, among humans....

... think of all the grief it might have saved, if we were all of the same racial heritage...

... okay, okay, we are, and I realize this.

And upon further reflection, I'm reminded of L. Neil Smith's "Brightsuit MacBear" novel-- wherein the planet was all of the same racial genotype.  But the bigots managed to dig up some traits they could point to, and say, "See?  these xxx people are second-class"...

*sigh*

I suppose the first time I thought about it, was Author C Clarke's "Childhood's End".   One of his more interesting ideas, in concept.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

Brecht wrote a drama on something like that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_Heads_and_Pointed_Heads
with the typical moral that class beats 'race' in case of doubt, i.e. if one belongs to the ruling class people will simply ignore (or be forced to do it) the 'bad' racial (or other distinguishing) attributes.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Congratulations Bob. Enjoy your new identity.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Pachyderm

The delightful Catherine (work colleague) and Kyle (her boyfriend) are coming over for dinner.

Masses of Italian food, oodles of wine, and some excellent company. I must confess, I'm looking forward to it.

Now, I just have to go shopping, and get cooking, open the vino to let it breathe, tidy the house, do the hoovering etc...
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Griffin NoName

Ah, dinner with friends, so civilized. Enjoy yourself.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

... and Pastifarian, as well. Yes, it's spaghetti night. I think I'll open a bottle of wine too, Pachy m'dear.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

One university acceptance letter! Safety school, but STILL!
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling DavidH

Aggie

:woot:

What are you planning to take, Scrib?
WWDDD?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

:mrgreen:

Labor history. Probably American, since that's what I know, though I have no doubt it was just as dramatic elsewhere.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677