News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Hearing Aid Rant

Started by Sibling DavidH, October 19, 2012, 07:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling DavidH

I've been thinking for a while that I might be getting a bit deaf.  So off I went to the audiology clinic this morning and the news was medium bad.  In both ears the response drops dramatically above 4KHz, the right one is almost 30dB down between there and 8KHz. I expect all the shooting I did in my youth didn't help - we didn't use ear defenders in those days.

Anyway, the verdict is I need hearing aids in both ears.  The appointment to fit them is next Friday, 26th

Swatopluk

At least these days hearing aids can be rather inconspicuousand quite effective. How many people know for example that Bill Clinton uses one (and not just since yesterday)?
My mother seems quite happy with hers' (both ears for quite some years).
It's just that the really good models are not exactly cheap (and insurance fully covers only more basic models over here, so the difference is the patient's to pay). But the expensive parts also last quite long and the others can be exchanged easily and cheaply (like the nose saddle in eyeglasses).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

I'm afraid I'll have to make do with the free ones from the NHS.  New bits and batteries also free with those.  They don't look all that bad, but whatever, I can't afford to be vain.  :-[

Griffin NoName

(Thankfully) I know nothing about hearing aids. I do know a bit about NHS breast protheses but I guess they are a bit different. I'm sorry you have to bother with all this, getting older is fraught with obstacles. I don't know why we spend our youth thinking it'll never happen to me (old age). I think if I get deaf I shall just ignore it and go around saying What? What?, it's not as if I have people to talk to much anyway ;)  (I might miss music and TV though).

I hope you will be able to get used to the darned things, and maybe to say they changed your life David !!
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName on October 19, 2012, 09:05:26 PM
I do know a bit about NHS breast protheses but I guess they are a bit different.

So, tech-tits were not covered? ;)

Sibling DavidH

Maybe I was careless, but I never asked about prosthetic boobies.

Yes, I hope they will change my life in that I'll be able to hear what people are saying.  That's why I requested the test.  Snag is, they tell me it can take a while to get used to them.

Swatopluk

Well, many say the same about glasses and contacts.
The good hearing aids allow for a lot of fine-tuning with different programs for varying situations but it takes time to find the optimum settings.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

My dad's experience with hearing aids has been mostly bad.

Part of the issue, unfortunately, is that he has had really crap luck with the companies he chose to fit him out-- finally, this last (and yet different again) company seems to actually give a crap, and has fitted him out with some that actually seem to work.

We'll see.

Here in the USofA, where health care is a luxury, he's had to foot the entire bill himself.  So, it's taken him 15 years or so to get to here... meh.

On the other hand, he seems happy with them, finally.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

Good for you, DavidH!    :thumbsup:

When my maternal grandfather first received his hearing aid, he quizzed the doctor about the squeaking noise -- was it a malfunction in the piece? No, it was a small squeak in his chair which all of us heard and immediately tuned out! He really enjoyed re-connecting with the world again, and rediscovering how much he had gradually lost. Very best wishes that yours work as well for you!

~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~
Murkins who can  afford to get hearing aids but refuse to do so,  then compensate by grunting HUH?  at everyone, or irritably picking fights over nothing because they fear others are "whispering about them", or belligerently ordering everyone to STOP MUMBLING!  are very high on my pet peeve list.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Opsa

Let us know how it goes, willya? I feel that someday I will have to get them, too. (Propensity for standing near the speakers at loud concerts.) I want to have a clue as to what to expect.

pieces o nine

Let us know when you hear cool new (or old!) things...     :)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

Sibling DavidH

Pardon?  I'm in Exeter at the moment, so I couldn't understand the locals if I could hear them.  But I'll be back in Yerefrrd and get sorted out on Friday.  I think she said Friday ...

Opsa