News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Hearing Aid Rant

Started by Sibling DavidH, October 19, 2012, 07:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on October 29, 2012, 05:12:38 PM
Quote from: OpsaThe nice thing about hearing aids is that you can take them out sometimes.

Yes, it's even pretty easy to switch them off in place, but at the moment I'm trying to persevere through thick and thin.  I may resort to stuffing his mouth with chocolate.  :mrgreen:

Quote from: AggiePerhaps this is the evolutionary reason for hearing loss; it makes grandparents fonder of small children.

Less likely to strangle them, anyway.
Can you adjust the volume settings? (...on the hearing aid, not the kid. I tried adjusting the volume on my kid, once. Didn't work. Especially since she's my kid and therefore naturally loud.)

Sibling DavidH

No, unless I take it back to the clinic, where they can do it in software.  It's supposed to adjust itself automatically, but maybe the designer didn't have kids.

I, too, have found that kids are not adjustable for volume.  They are either flat out, or asleep.

Opsa

It's a good thing they are so doggoned cute.

Sibling DavidH

I thought I had really got used to my new electric ears and that nothing would bother me now.  Then yesterday we went to Capn B's school to collect the little fellow, and suddenly zillions of little kids were rushing around screeching.  Aaagh!  Agony!

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

See?  Sometimes loosing one's hearing can be ... a blessing.

Good thing your new ears have an "off" switch, yes?

:D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling DavidH

I'm now nearly through the 12 sets of batteries they gave me, so I wondered how much bureaucracy would be involved in getting new ones.  There was as good as none: I walked up to the counter of the 'drop-in clinic', a woman looked at my log-book, gave me a new lot and made a note in the book.  Wendy was waiting in the 20-minute free drop-off parking and I was back in about 4 minutes.

You won't hear me moaning about the NHS.

Opsa

Nice!

I often wonder about the NHS. I wish we had it, here. Some people complain about the bureaucracy, but it doesn't sound any worse than what we pay for at a huge expense in the States.

Griffin NoName

The trouble with the NHS is that it is patchy. When properly run, yes, fantastic. But stuff like having to wait up to four weeks to find out if one has cancer is a nightmare when one knows it takes 0 to week privately...... I've never understood why they don't do one-stop clinics for stuff like that, it takes next to no time to read a scan and write the short report they do; I'm sure it would actually be more efficient for them too.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on February 05, 2013, 06:10:06 PMYou won't hear me moaning about the NHS.
Especially if we don't got no hearing aid batteries!   ;)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH