News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

"Canadian Smalltalk" (weather - all nations included!) Thread

Started by Aggie, November 29, 2006, 06:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goat starer

Some Canadian smalltalk....

Speedy Creek: slang term for the small city of Swift Current in Southwestern Saskatchewan.

Mickey: Canadian Slang. A small bottle of liquor, shaped to fit in a pocket.

Peanut: canadian slang for a small or insignificant person.

hope this helps!

;D

----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Bluenose

Quote from: Agujjim on January 14, 2007, 08:07:05 PM
I've had a hate on for those things since a cake decorating contest in Elementary school....  lost out to some *(&^*&%  Care Bear because my black forest with the chocolate cones and everything was 'too professional...  probably store bought'. 

I know exactly how you feel, I had some homework in grade six to draw an angel, which I did, the best one was supposs ed to get a small prize (I forget what).  When I submitted my homework I was pretty happy with my chances, but the substitute teacher who was taking that class judged that my drawing had been done by my mother.  I was incensed and asked her to speak to our art teacher to see what she thought, since she had an idea of how well I could draw - certainly a lot better than my mum, as much as I love her, she can't draw to save herself.

It scarred me for life!

It drove me to drink!  :toasty:  OK, it took a while, and it was after I had joined the Navy, but it was her fault, I tell you!

Sibling Bluenose
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Aggie

Quote from: goat starer on January 14, 2007, 09:58:46 PM
Some Canadian smalltalk....

Speedy Creek: slang term for the small city of Swift Current in Southwestern Saskatchewan.

Mickey: Canadian Slang. A small bottle of liquor, shaped to fit in a pocket.

Peanut: canadian slang for a small or insignificant person.

Peanut?  Never heard that one.  I'll buy into Speedy Creek, and confirm a mickey at 375 mL.
WWDDD?

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

A former co-worker of mine called her fetus "Peanut" before they'd picked out a name, just for something to call him/her (turned out to be a "her").

More Canadian slang: in "Toronto", the second "t" is silent.  Pronouncing it is a sure giveaway that you're a tourist.

Outis the Unready

"More Canadian slang: in "Toronto", the second "t" is silent.  Pronouncing it is a sure giveaway that you're a tourist."

Unless you're a tourist from Buffalo.  (Turrano, or TeeOh)

But Buffalo is in Canada.
(If it's not, all those people in TO and Fart Erie are gonna hafta root fer the Leafs again....a turible fate if ever there was one.)

where is the butter?
I can't live without butter.
Please pass the butter.

Bluenose

Be careful when using the word root when not talking about plants to Aussies, the word has an entirely different and more biological meaning over here.

Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

There's a Canadian-based clothing line called "Roots" - the Australian exchange students in my class thought it was hilarious.

Especially since the logo that features prominently on most of their clothing is a beaver:

:o

Aggie

Quote from: Outis the Unready on January 15, 2007, 06:46:41 PM(If it's not, all those people in TO and Fart Erie are gonna hafta root fer the Leafs again....a turible fate if ever there was one.)

Quote from: Bluenose on January 15, 2007, 09:10:12 PM
Be careful when using the word root when not talking about plants to Aussies, the word has an entirely different and more biological meaning over here.

Heh...  that recalls a playoff game a couple of years ago where the TV ended up getting switched off in favour of a more interesting activity.  IIRC, the comment made when the TV was switched back on was "Hey, the Canucks scored too!"   ;D
WWDDD?

The harbour's almost frozen over.  Just a bit of water in the middle, and where the creek comes in.  Not quite strong enough to put a hut on, but getting there.

Not that you'd ever go ice fishing in the harbour here, though.

Sibling Chatty

The sky is blue and no rain or sleet are falling. The puddles in the yard are subsiding. :)

The chance of rain goes to 70% by Wednesday. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
This sig area under construction.

Bluenose

We have had about 50 mm (2") of rain at my place in the last week or so.  My mother in law thinks that just because it's rained over most of the State all the bushfires must therefore be out.  She expressed surprise that in fact they are still burning.  Never mind that the fire fighters have consistently said it would take at least 200 mm to extinguish all the fires, and there's precious little chance of that amount of rain for a couple of months yet.  Still, the urgency has eased off a bit and for the most part the fire fighters are now ale to concentrate on building control lines against the next hot/dry period which will no doubt be along within a week or two.  the problem is that even if the place is sopping wet, you only need two or three days of high temperatures and hot northerly winds (an all too common situation in summer here) for the wet area to become tinder dry again and any tree or stump that is still burning from before will spark of another round of fire.

Already we have had well over a million hectares (about 2.5 million acres) burnt out and we still have a long way to go before this fire season is over.

Sibling Bluenose

Sibling Chatty

I wish you could have some of our rain.

Another inch and a half overnight, plus whateven today brought.
This sig area under construction.

I'd like to send you some of our cold, too.

I've started plugging my car in at night.  Without it, it doesn't shift properly in the morning.*

*at this point, all the folks from warmer climes are probably thinking "why is Lambi plugging his car in?  Is it electric?"   ;D

ivor

Quote from: Sibling Lambicus the Toluous on January 26, 2007, 02:12:57 PM
I'd like to send you some of our cold, too.

I've started plugging my car in at night.  Without it, it doesn't shift properly in the morning.*

*at this point, all the folks from warmer climes are probably thinking "why is Lambi plugging his car in?  Is it electric?"   ;D

Does it have a block heater?  ;D

Ssssh!

They get to wear shorts in January, we get to use winter trivia to mess with their heads - it's part of the deal!

;D