News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

20£ Note

Started by Kiyoodle the Gambrinous, March 22, 2007, 12:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I've just read about the new 20£ banknote, replacing  Elgar's picture with the one of Adam Smith, and what interests me is, what do you think about it, especially the British. I've heard that that the people aren't really happy about it over there.

Here's the banknote:

I'm back..

Swatopluk

Humbly shoot the designer, that thing is ugly!
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

beagle

I'll happily take away any that people don't want. 

Some people (with nothing better to complain about) got upset about a Scot featuring on a Bank of England note. Seeing as he virtually invented modern capitalism I'm prepared to overlook it, though Goat may view him less favourably.
The angels have the phone box

Swatopluk

Clarification: "that thing" was not aimed at the person depicted (another ambiguous sentence). Scots are not to be objectified ;).
I still would prefer currency with a less vile color scheme and more sense of proportion and relative positions.
The Euro notes could be better too but they keep on the side of tolerable.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

It is a conspiracy to move England to the Euro-zone.

Ask beagle.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

No heads allowed on Euro notes

Griffin NoName

Horrid design.

I guess Elgar has had long enough. Adam Smith is Ok. But they ought to change it to someone else every few weeks to be fair to all the famous people. And they shoud have Mrs Gladys Worthington from Acacia Avenue on sometimes too.

I just discovered my great-grandmother lived next door to Elgar. Not sure how I can turn this to my advantage.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on March 22, 2007, 03:07:51 PM
It is a conspiracy to move England to the Euro-zone.

Ask beagle.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Euro notes have anonymous "European" architecture so as not to offend any member countries left out. Is it the notes or coins where they chopped off Norway from the map, leaving a vaguely disconcertingly shaped Scandinavia?

Everything is an EU plot by the way. You are quite right. [Beagle carried out gibbering]

Swatopluk

Europe seems rather clueless. A plot may be useful to follow up.

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on March 22, 2007, 04:20:12 PM
I just discovered my great-grandmother lived next door to Elgar. Not sure how I can turn this to my advantage.

Probably a bit late unless she jotted down any humming she heard through the wall, or rifled through his bins for rejects.

Griffin NoName

Perhaps I could put up one of those blue plaques outside my home:

Here lives someone whose great-grandmother lived next door to Elgar

and charge people for entry ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Kiyoodle the Gambrinous on March 22, 2007, 12:22:57 PM
I've just read about the new 20£ banknote, replacing  Elgar's picture with the one of Adam Smith, and what interests me is, what do you think about it, especially the British. I've heard that that the people aren't really happy about it over there.

Here's the banknote:

All modern currency must needs be updated, to stay ahead of simple copy machines.

I foresee the day when simple printed paper currency is gone-- to easy to duplicate.

It would be too easy now, were there not some deliberate limitations in the duplication machines.

However, this is easily circumvented with a high-dollar scanner (somewhat less than $1,000US) a computer and a really good printer ($500+ US). A cheap pc or mac is needed as well.

It's SUCH a problem, that governments are scrambling to try to keep ahead.  The US has already re-minted their most popular currency, with the lowly $1 soon to follow.

But the new techniques used by treasuries are just a stop-gap.  I imagine they will be circumvented in a few years.

Personally, I've always said we should just dispense with cash all together, and go with debit-type cards.  ::)

Of course, there's still plain gold and silver .... aaarg!
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on April 03, 2007, 03:53:48 AMOf course, there's still plain gold and silver .... aaarg!

And palladium.  Although I haven't figured out yet how to avoid paying the GST on Maple Leafs (Au and Ag are exempt from taxes).
WWDDD?

beagle

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on April 03, 2007, 03:53:48 AM
Quote from: Kiyoodle the Gambrinous on March 22, 2007, 12:22:57 PM

Here's the banknote:

All modern currency must needs be updated, to stay ahead of simple copy machines.

Yep. That's why it looks lop-sided, so the watermark can clearly be seen on the white bit. Also that vertical dashed line is actually a silvery looking thread bound in to the paper, which should look continuous when you hold the note up to the light.

I'm all for gold sovereigns, but at a couple of hundred quid each they're not popular with cabbies.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on April 03, 2007, 07:38:24 AM
I'm all for gold sovereigns, but at a couple of hundred quid each they're not popular with cabbies.

Maybe you just haven't got the techique right? Next time, try saying keep the change. I gurantee your cabbie will be happy.

NB. don't try this on airline pilots.
Psychic Hotline Host