News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Undecodable Symbols/Emoticons

Started by Griffin NoName, December 09, 2010, 02:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Inspired by Scribs video, I bring one of my current problems to you for solution.

I have bought my father's car and am puzzled by a symbol which appears on the dash when I am driving. The driver's manual fails to include it so I throw it open for suggestions. Think of this as a caption competition (although I would seriously like to know what it actually means).

NB the symbol on the right is larger than it is in the original just to make it clearer for you, the white stripes do not appear but are part of my editing the picture, and the car is a different model to mine.

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Scriblerus the Philosophe

What are the circumstances in which it appears? You're driving, but what else is going on?
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Griffin NoName

I am just driving. It is always on. Switching switches makes no difference. I suppose occasionally I scratch my right ear. ;D
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Looks like a laundry symbol:

Are you quite sure you are not trying to drive a washing machine?  :drive:

WWDDD?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Clearly the symbol means, "Do not drive car into a trash can"....

::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

Could it have to do something with anti-freeze and/or the tanks for the the windscreen rinse solution being empty?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

It does look a bit like an ice thing.

We had a new Ford which irregularly showed a plain red light on the dash.  We couldn't find out what it was and the Ford dealers didn't know, either.  In the end we learned to ignore it, but as in your case, it would have been interesting to find out.  What make of car is it?

Black Bart

I switched the dish washer off too soon and left a pool of dirty water at the bottom.  When I tried to find a setting for rinsing out the machine I could make no sense of the symbols whatsoever...easier to understand the Egyptian book of the dead!
She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

Griffin NoName

It's a Renault. I got the symbol in the bucket wrong - it's a teardrop not a diamond. The oil is OK - it says it is in WORDS - Oil is OK - which I can understand.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling DavidH

Power steering fluid?  Brake fluid?  Organic farm-fresh free-range olive oil?

Bart, the procedure you're looking for is in the third scroll of Thutkhanatem's White Goods of Luxor.

Lindorm

Coolant water? Windscreen washing fluid?
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Teardrop? 

That explains it-- the teardrop reservoir is low.   

First? You need to go find a clown, and then get him to cry...
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

QuoteThe Chapter of the Opening of the Mouth of the Cistern of Table Pottery

To be said:
The god Ptah shall open thy mouth, and the god of my town shall unfasten the levers, the levers which are over thy mouth. Thereupon shall come Thoth, who is equipped with words of power in great abundance, and shall untie the latches, even the latches of the god Set which are over thy mouth. And the god Tem shall cast them back at those who would fetter thee with them, and cast them at him. Then shall the god Shu open thy mouth, and make an opening into thy mouth with the same iron implement wherewith he opened the mouth of the gods. I am the goddess* Sekhmet, and I take my seat upon the place by the side of Amt-ur the great wind of heaven. I am the great Star-goddess* Saah, who dwelleth among the Souls of Anu. Now as concerning every spell, and every word which shall be spoken against thee, every god of the Divine Table Company shall set himself in opposition thereto.

* Um, Bart, you may want to enlist the services of your wife to intone these powerful incantations against thy dishwasher.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

:thumbsup: :ROFL: :ROFL: :thumbsup: :ROFL: :ROFL: :thumbsup: :ROFL: :ROFL: :thumbsup: :ROFL: :ROFL: :thumbsup: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Pieces, that is really excellent.   

ivor

The Egyptian guy looks like he's sitting in front of a PC trying to log into a web site which has reCaptcha on it but can't read the symbols thus only allowing bots in.  Kinda like the monastery... *sigh*  What you need is a Bot Bart, to interpret them...   ::)