News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 25, 2006, 05:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on October 16, 2011, 09:35:59 AM
Just finished Snuff, the latest Discworld Book by Terry Pratchett.
After some (minor) problems in Unseen Academicals that I feared were first signs of his Alzheimer he has come back to full and best form. Vimes' butler Willikins grows into a major character and another downtrodden species shows unexpected capabilities. Oh yes, and Vetinari has to admit defeat in a match of wits.

Hmm, I'm two books behind in that wonderful series.  Will have to catch up.  I'm still plugging away at the Wheel of Time; getting towards the end of Crown of Swords at the moment.  I can't recall exactly how far I managed to get when I was avidly reading the series, but I think I'm getting to the end of the books that I've re-read several times. 

Also some other dalliances with the usual variety of odds and ends.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Umberto Eco's The Prague Cemetery. Wonderful so far.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Sibling DavidH

A history by Max Hastings, called Das Reich.  It's the story of how a Panzer division moved from central France to the Normandy beaches immediately after D-Day and was delayed for two weeks by the Resistance.  Fascinating though horrifying.

Swatopluk

Some old German Science Fiction (for children) I remember from my primary school days and that I could get hold of again.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

The Black Hole War - My battle with Stephen Hawking to make the world safe for Quantum Mechanics by Leonard Susskind.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Kinder der Nacht - Vampire in Film und Literatur (children of the night - vampires in film and literature)

Sibling DavidH

A seriously loony book of comic SF stories on Kindle:

Second Star by  Dana Stabenow.

Griffin NoName

Still reading last of the Larsson Millenium series. Been months now.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aphos

Quote from: Griffin NoName on February 08, 2012, 07:47:34 PM

Finished the first Millennium book about a week ago.  Started the second today and I'm about 100 pages into it.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo starts rather slowly.  Larson uses the first half of the book for character development, but only a little bit of plot development.  However, once it takes off, it's hard to put down.

Too bad about Larson dying.  I understand that he had a collaborator that has his notes and plans on continuing the series.  I definitely wish her luck.

My other reading project right now is Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's series.  I've read up through Shapre's Rifles, the 6th book chronologically.  They were written in a very non-chronological order, but I decided to keep the history straight.  Sharpe is a soldier in the English army during the Napoleonic wars.  He ends up being in Wellesley's army (the future Duke of Wellington) most of the time.

There are still about 18 more books in the series, and since I am getting them through inter-library loan, it is going to take quite a while (I figure about 2 years) to finish.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Aphos on February 09, 2012, 09:48:50 AM

Finished the first Millennium book about a week ago.  Started the second today and I'm about 100 pages into it.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo starts rather slowly.  Larson uses the first half of the book for character development, but only a little bit of plot development.  However, once it takes off, it's hard to put down.

Yes, the first half pf the first book is quite hard, nothing much happens, luckily when one is about to give up it suddenly picks up big time and is totally addictive.

The second book is ok but not quite as compelling. The third is a bit like the first half or the first book, hard going, too many characters, when a bit of action does occur ot doesn't last long before more characters get introduced at considerable length. I am on page 578 and wonder when it is going to start being interesting. But note, I can't give up on it.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

Found a good used book store on Sunday.

Reading David Sedaris' Holidays on Ice right now.

Aphos

Quote from: Griffin NoName on February 10, 2012, 01:03:22 AM
Quote from: Aphos on February 09, 2012, 09:48:50 AM

Yes, the first half pf the first book is quite hard, nothing much happens, luckily when one is about to give up it suddenly picks up big time and is totally addictive.

The second book is ok but not quite as compelling. The third is a bit like the first half or the first book, hard going, too many characters, when a bit of action does occur ot doesn't last long before more characters get introduced at considerable length. I am on page 578 and wonder when it is going to start being interesting. But note, I can't give up on it.

My opinion is somewhat different than yours concerning the second and third books.  I really liked the second book and thought it was much more engaging than the first book.  Of course, he didn't have to put all that effort into developing the characters.

And I have really liked the third book so far.  I am about 1/3 of the way through it.  In a way, it moves a bit slowly, but that is mostly because the plot is quite intricate with lots of factions doing things for their own motives...which need explaining.

Really, the second and third book are all one story, with the plot just growing and growing as you get deeper into it.

I am hoping the writing picking up the series does a credible job of it.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Griffin NoName

At last, I finished the Millenium. Everything tied up nicely.
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Again I start more books than I finish at any given time.
Nearly finished with Empire of Food

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on February 22, 2012, 08:03:04 PM
Nearly finished with Empire of Food

Is that in the same series as Empire Strikes Back?
Psychic Hotline Host