News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Creationism : here we go again, but this time it's The Royal Society

Started by Griffin NoName, September 14, 2008, 12:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: beagle on September 17, 2008, 08:11:41 PM
"unfortunate confusion over appropriate scheduling of cremation services".
:ROFL:
And the treatment leading to it was an "unfortunate but well intentioned over-effort in physiotherapy"?
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

pieces o nine

The whole "Creationism" brouhaha amazes me, no matter where it raises its ugly head...

For your viewing enjoyment and consideration, I've scanned and uploaded (7) sample pages from How Our Civilization Began, a teacher's guide ©1932 and 1935.   

[EDIT: highlighting not on original pages. Not intended to criticize the references to Christianity, but to highlight the understanding that  science does not preclude religious beliefs. [/EDIT]
[Well, back in 1932 and 1935, anyway...]  :'(

This book was used by my great-aunt in the standard public school education of Midwestern farm kids from a small towns [cough! cough!]  whose citizens were deeply religious. No civic outrage, no loss of faith (to be fair, the book credits "God" with several things throughout), no loss of "hope" and no breakdown of the family or family values occurred in that community because of the contents of this book. Those kids (including my parents) went on to raise kids of their own (including me) who calmly learned all this -- and more -- in both public and parochial school classrooms for all 12 years, and went on to raise kids of their own with even more of the same.

Suddenly, hordes of people have noticed that there are serious economic problems. Longing for the "good old days" and a better(?) form of "science" they are making monkeys of *themselves*.

It is very depressing when so very many people celebrate being doubleplusungood, pastwise.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Black Bart

That's a good example...but if my mum went out and started sharpening a knife on a stone it would be time to run for the hills.

I've got some old school books at home I'll go and have a look...they're probably all about the British Empire though!
She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

beagle

You're not kidding anyone, they're actually about the Roman Empire.

The angels have the phone box

Black Bart

Quote from: beagle on September 18, 2008, 06:00:20 PM
You're not kidding anyone, they're actually about the Roman Empire.

Roight matey...it be TLAP Day...get yer scurvy arse on the Pirate insult thread so I can have at ye! >:(
She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night