News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Creationism : here we go again, but this time it's The Royal Society

Started by Griffin NoName, September 14, 2008, 12:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

That is the sign of the apocalypse, or more precisely, the dawn of a new dark age, a Neo-Medievalism with corporate feudalism and mega-church inquisition.

The End is coming.
:headbang:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

beagle

This is precisely the reason I rejected a fellowship [cough].

In other news, The Church of England is to apologize to Charles Darwin, via a website apparently, which suggests they know something network engineers don't about internet routeing to the great hereafter.

I'm still awaiting my apology for all the hours of R.E. at school.
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Great idea for a new business; a webiste dedicated to apologising to dead people.

Have You Been Nasty to Someone?  Are they Dead?   We can HELP.

All we need is a name for it.......  I'd suggest Post Corporeal Guilt Support Network but PCGSN is too hard to remember. We need something snappy.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

I think creationsim has a place in the science classroom the same way as Aristotelian physics, i.e. as a background from which the currently accepted theories sprang. The "false" theories often apply to what we see as common sense, while the accepted models are often counterintuitive. I think "the truth" will take much firmer roots, if it is shown how the new thoughts did a better job than the old (and where and why the old ones erred). It's also imo a good antidote against arrogance of the "they were rather stupid then to believe those things" type. This has nothing to do with "teach the controversy" but with the important lesson of "be open to question your beliefs critically".
This of course requires that the teachers are competent and constantly supervised.

I always refer in this context to the fact that the classical physical chemistry we still use and teach today was mainly developed by firm believers in the phlogiston theory of combustion (that many textbooks today treat rather condescendingly).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

pieces o nine

That was the post of someone with remarkably balanced humours.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Indeed, indeed.

I thought that bunch was supposed to be more intelligent than this.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Swatopluk

Quote from: pieces o nine on September 14, 2008, 09:08:05 PM
That was the post of someone with remarkably balanced humours.

Better Hippocratical than hypocritical, I say!
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

beagle

Black Bart

Quote from: beagle on September 15, 2008, 01:44:35 PM
C of E Apology to one Charles Darwin, FRS

I read that with great interest...now we just have to wait for Darwin's response from above...or did the C of E send him down below in which case he surely gets a reprieve.
She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

Griffin NoName

Fascinating. Apology? Hmmmmm.

It could be a sort of coded political message.

Yes, Christians believe that God became incarnate as a human being in the person of Jesus and thereby demonstrated God's especial love for humanity. But how can that special relationship be undermined just because we develop a different understanding of the processes by which humanity came to be?

my emphasis
Psychic Hotline Host

Black Bart

Blimey...a reply to church of England from Darwin:

QuoteDear Sir

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your humble apology.  I am very glad to see that the Church of England is evolving and taking into account the scientific evidence which myself and others have brought to the world's attention.

I would welcome a rapprochement between myself and the Christain faith but I am dead...you're 200 years too late mate.   

My publication of 'On the Origin of Species' is held to be one of mankind's greatest achievements along with Newton's Principia and Einstein's Theory of Relativity.   Some say that the Beatles 'White Album' was an even greater step forward of course.

As you point out Quantum Physics is, even as I write, endeavouring to find the so called 'God Particle' with the new Large Hadron Collider at CERN.  If however the Higgs Bosun doesn't turn up that means the 'God' particle doesn't exist and we in the scientific community (both dead and alive) will be contacting you for some answers.

Yours Posthumously

Charles Darwin

Sibling Chatty

Quote from: Griffin NoName on September 14, 2008, 06:21:01 PM

Great idea for a new business; a webiste dedicated to apologising to dead people.

Have You Been Nasty to Someone?  Are they Dead?   We can HELP.

All we need is a name for it.......  I'd suggest Post Corporeal Guilt Support Network but PCGSN is too hard to remember. We need something snappy.

Apres' Mortem Guilt Amelioration Network

AMGAN
This sig area under construction.

Black Bart

Actually thinking about it, Charles Darwin got off pretty lightly.  Has the church apologized to all the people they burned for Heresy yet?

beagle

I think the church prefers to refer to it as "unfortunate confusion over appropriate scheduling of cremation services".