News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Pros and Cons of Government Interference

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, April 25, 2008, 01:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandantory Seatbelt Laws:

Good idea - keeps health cost down
8 (72.7%)
Hate it - too much government interference as it is
0 (0%)
Ought to be personal choice
1 (9.1%)
Other--- what?
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Not sure where to put this, but this seems reasonable enough.

I heard today, on NPR that California is about to adopt a new law requiring pets to be secured while traveling in cars.

One guy interviewed exclaimed that not only did he not intend to secure his dogs, he does not even wear a seatbelt.

Which prompted this post.

I have always been a fan of seatbelts-- won't drive without them on (feels like no pants, actually-- THAT feeling).

But, as I thought about it, the man had a point-- should not he be allowed to live his life HIS way, if no one else is affected?

So.

I would be in favor of an exemption for mandatory seatbelt wearing, provided the person who chooses NOT to is aware that there will be ZERO liability on the part of ANYONE who may or may not hit him-- regardless of who's fault.

Moreover, his insurance, if of the "standard" variety is not obligated to pay, either-- UNLESS he opts for the extra-cost "no seatbelt clause". 

What'a y'all think?
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Chatty

Works for me, with medical exemptions.

I have numerous liver tumors. They cause liver bloat, they cause pain. Put a seatbelt over them (or my lower on down the anatomy ones) and I'm in actual misery. A good blow would 'stress' the tumors, and being neuro-endocrine tumors, they would dump their multitudinous hormonal brews into my system. Then, the real fun would begin.

First person on the scene would probably do a shot of epinepherin. From that I could die, right there. Then there's the damage to the liver and tumors, etc.

I try to be where there's an airbag if I am in a car. I cannot do seatbelts...I do not want to face a penalty for that.

As to seatbelting animals, if they'll provide free harnesses and belt attachments at SPCAs, fire stations and the like for those with low incomes, that's fine. (Until Spencer outgrew the Hated Harness, he traveled in the back seat, belted in with it as much as possible. Pressy was, however, a parrot, and hung onto my left shoulder, sitting on the armrest and helping me drive. No harness, no seatbelt for that boy...he was born to be wild. And crazy...one wiiiiiild and crazy dog-baby.

Long sleeves and gloves suggested when belting in teh kittehz...
This sig area under construction.

Griffin NoName

I think seat belts are a must (but not to keep costs down. I hate cost effective government.).

I can't see why there shouldn't be exemptions. I have trouble with mine as well - partly where it practically decapitates me (despite a useful adjustor I imported from the US) - partly where it rubs - yes like chatty- a bit of the body which is medically challenged. I wear it despite that but I sometimes do make illegal adjustments to it (putting arms through the wrong bits). LOL.

I'd have an exmeption for small dogs - I wouldn't mind being hit by a small dog. But I'd definitely make it enforceable for large dogs. And elephants.

On the wider topic of govt interference, I like their interference if it benefits me and not otherwise.

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

I am for mandatory seatbelts and I hate it that (overland) buses don't have them except for the front row. Not wearing them not only endangers the life of that person but potentially that of others too (by becoming a living missile that can hit others).
I would not in general exclude medical exceptions but those should be handled on a case-by-case basis.
One should also consider the possibility of using a different kind of seatbelt that avoids critical areas (I know that costs extra and is of no use, if traveling in another person's car).
As for pets, that should mainly depend on the potential danger (no need to strap the hamster in. And what about the fish?). Small pets should be put in boxes that can be secured. Big ones I leave to the engineers. Snakes could be interesting :mrgreen:.
Seriously, there should be laws but they should be made according to common sense.
I think there already are regulations about insurance claims in case of "I need no fornicating seatbelt" casualties (negicence and all of that).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

On first thought I believed in no exceptions for humans (the pet thing may be excessive).

But then I realized that the rationale would preclude all extreme sports, so my belief is that what should be mandatory is the insurance for NOT wearing a seatbelt, IOW, if someone wants to drive without a seatbelt he MUST be covered by an insurance company that covers him/her in that specific case. Otherwise, heavy fine. Same thing for motorcycle helmets.

If someone wants to stupidly risk his life/health is his choice so long (s)he is willing to pay for the consequences.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on April 25, 2008, 11:56:35 AMNot wearing them not only endangers the life of that person but potentially that of others too (by becoming a living missile that can hit others).

Indeed. Do not run or DRIVE while carrying scissors. Or one of those lollipops on sticks.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Even with mandatory seatbelts and crash helmets, speed cameras, speed bumps, smoking bans, shooting bans, crisp bans, recommended alcohol unit intake advisories, and traffic light fat warnings on choccy bars I'm determined to die anyway, and am cautiously optimistic I can triumph over the government on this issue.
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

King Canute Theory of Government a la Beagle.  ;D
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Chatty

Ya know, pretty much the only folks that have ever claimed to get out alive are from a mythos most of y'all don't buy into.

The trick is to NOT take anybody with you.

My unbelted liver isn't going to take anybody else. As to MY injuries? I'll die from the hormonal influx revving my heartbeat up until my heart explodes faster than anything else. (Stress, excitement and fear are the big hormonal bombs, along with exertion, ethanol and excess anger.)

As I am right now, with the tumor load and the hernias, trying to wear a seatbelt, unless it was made to totally avoid touching me from breastbone to hips...I'd be in crisis within a block. Of course, a shoulder harness would HAVE to be custom fit, as there is a real and now noticeable musculature difference in my shoulders...

I'm countin' on airbags, and if we ever get another vehicle, it will have side curtain airbags as well.

I tried a seatbelt in October, when I was driving someone else's car that dinged at you if you tried to scam the interlock. Stopping to throw up or to have dry heaves every 4-7 minutes didn't make for a good time on the 95 mile drive to the airport...so I scammed the interlock and went on with life.
This sig area under construction.

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on April 26, 2008, 02:50:47 AM
...so I scammed the interlock and went on with life.

If it comes up again, try buckling the belt before you get into the car.  Then, simply sit on the belt-- no annoying nagging..  ::) ;D

Darlica

I don't know when we got an mandatory seatbelt law here in Sweden but it's been around as long as I can remember and it works fine, one can get an exemption for medical reasons (works with motorcycle helmets too) or the government help you finance a specially designed car seat and belt.

There are strong recommendations to keep your pet either in a cage fastened in the car or in a harness that is attached to the seatbelts but no law yet. We use a cage in the back seat for Ludvig and it works fine. 
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Swatopluk

Well, what else could one expect from that commie paradise Sweden but common sense? :mrgreen:
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

ivor

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on April 25, 2008, 01:42:49 AM
I try to be where there's an airbag if I am in a car. I cannot do seatbelts...I do not want to face a penalty for that.

From what I understand the air bag is designed to work in conjunction with the seat belt.  If you don't wear it you could be seriously or fatally injured by the air bag.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Health/2008/03/17/air_bags_without_seat_belts_up_injury_risk/3408/

I don't think you should be penalized for not wearing a seatbelt.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on April 26, 2008, 11:15:30 AM
Quote from: Sibling Chatty on April 25, 2008, 01:42:49 AM
I don't think you should be penalized for not wearing a seatbelt.
I agree, because there is a reasonable medical reason.
Quote from: Darlica on April 26, 2008, 10:28:40 AM
I don't know when we got an mandatory seatbelt law here in Sweden but it's been around as long as I can remember and it works fine, one can get an exemption for medical reasons (works with motorcycle helmets too) or the government help you finance a specially designed car seat and belt.
Quote from: Swatopluk on April 26, 2008, 11:08:01 AM
Well, what else could one expect from that commie paradise Sweden but common sense? :mrgreen:
Rumble!  ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on April 26, 2008, 02:50:47 AM
The trick is to NOT take anybody with you.

Ruumble. 

That IS the bottom-line of personal responsibility, is it not?