News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Respect for the Aged

Started by The Meromorph, August 09, 2007, 04:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjj

QuoteAs Darlica mentioned, I don't see how this is connected to philosophy.
Please don't gang up...

QuoteAnd honestly, I don't need a philosopher to tell me that beating up a toddler to death isn't the right thing to do.
True, that much most (not all) young parents seem to know, but shaking babies and harming them psychologically, amazingly fewer parents seem to know. Thus, to offer them at least these kind of basic guidelines would be vital IMHO, but I don't expect you to agree. So, we will see many more brain/ emotionally damaged children emerging... until something is done about it. You might feel comfortable with it, but I don't.
Quote...anyone who has spent time with goats knows that there is no such thing as a contented goat.
Yes, this trait is well know.  That would indentify me with all three (sheep, goat & cow), because I started off as sheep, then progressed to goat and now enjoy the green pasture like a contented cow. Yes, please draw another caricature of that image...Thx

goat starer

My favoured progression would be:

cow - easily pleased, compliant, used for slavish drudgery pulling carts and making wells pump. only moves if the grass runs out.
sheep - easily led and not terribly inquisitive but naturally uncompliant
goat - not led anywhere, utterly uncompliant, investigates everything then does the opposite of what you expect. funny and charming yer with the ability to fight its corner. Well dressed. Provides a real sustainable supply of milk and wool (unlike cows that consume more than they contribute and require prime arable land to thrive). Can climb trees.

----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

ivor

Quote from: jjj on August 17, 2007, 11:18:39 AM
QuoteAs Darlica mentioned, I don't see how this is connected to philosophy.
Please don't gang up...
Why not?  It's okay in nature and nature is "perfect" right?  :mrgreen:  In nature the sick and the old get eaten.  Why should it be different here?  :mrgreen:

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Quote from: jjjPlease don't gang up...

I'm not ganging up. I was just referring to the fact that I agree with a post of a fellow sibling...

Quote from: jjjSo, we will see many more brain/ emotionally damaged children emerging... until something is done about it. You might feel comfortable with it, but I don't.

I don't say that I feel comfortable with "emerging of "brain/emotionally damaged children" because of the way they've been treated. I just don't see how some guidelines could prevent people from behaving as they do.

There's one thing I've asked before, you haven't aswered and I'd really like to know, in order to understand your "guidelines"-concept better:

Quote from: jjj
Why do you want repeat them and destroy a new-born life?

You have mentioned that even your parents have made mistakes with your upbringing. Do you consider your life destroyed? I thought you were satisfied with it...

I'm back..

jjj

I just don't see how some guidelines could prevent people from behaving as they do.
I tell you how:  in most cases it's sheer ignorance! Anything helps to cut down on this horrific toll. Doing nothing is worse!!
You have mentioned that even your parents have made mistakes with your upbringing. Do you consider your life destroyed? I thought you were satisfied with it...
Partly, I explained it already: As you know... the first 9 years of my life I was brought up with lots of love (no beating) with my dearest aunt Tante Mieze in Czechoslovakia. After that my aunt returned me to my family and there my horrible pious parents tried to beat the hell out of me. They were fanatic Catholics. (Result: now I refuse to lick cattle! :mrgreen:)
This didn't change my views about love & affection, which my parents lacked, but I failed at school. Then, aged 15, I left East-Germany for West Germany (Hannover). My uncle didn't beat me physically, but emotionally... by discriminating me. His children had priority in every way. After serving 2 years at the army I turned 21 and tasted freedom for the first time. From that on my philosophical pondering and planning began in earnest.
I trust/hope from that you are able to draw constructive conclusions.

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I'm sorry to hear that you had a rough youth.

Do you think that your upbringing would be different, if your family had the guidelines, you're suggesting?

IMHO, it wouldn't. These guidelines wouldn't bring love in your childhood. No guidelines can. Parental love is something you either have, or don't. It can't be taught and you don't obtain it if someone tells you that you have to love the child.

I'm back..

jjj

QuoteDo you think that your upbringing would be different, if your family had the guidelines, you're suggesting? IMHO, it wouldn't. These guidelines wouldn't bring love in your childhood. No guidelines can. Parental love is something you either have, or don't. It can't be taught and you don't obtain it if someone tells you that you have to love the child.
I agree, love and affection has to be instilled before the age of four. If that fails, it's impossible to make up for it! I experienced it and witnessed it on various other people.
Interesting point: I have four siblings and their understanding of love is totally different to mine, because of my separate upbringing. We are even unable to talk about it, because what you don't know... you think you don't miss it. Yet, their partner relationships disclose it and they just wonder why mine is so harmonious... Mind you, it wasn't easy for me, too. I paid with two failed marriages/ apprenticeships, until I discovered/ gained the above mentioned insight.

Yet, young couples should be offered basic advice on how to avoid harming seriously harming their children. In most cases it' ignorance.
To instill love & affection cannot be taught by guidelines... but something can and should  be done about it, too. One can only give love when one received love or one can only give kicks when one only received kicks!

Alpaca

Quote from: jjj on August 17, 2007, 03:10:56 PM
To instill love & affection cannot be taught by guidelines...

Now that you've clarified/amended your views to that point, I agree with you: information for basic parenting ought to be provided to parents (and, IMHO, people are trying to get the information out - in Jacksonville, I saw a huge billboard that simply said "Never shake a baby" and had the URL of a parenting website underneath). But beyond the basic physical and physiological health of the child, it's impossible to teach love, affection, and many other things that provide happiness and a positive force in the upbringing of a child.

Quote from: jjj on August 17, 2007, 03:10:56 PM
but something can and should  be done about it, too.

Ah, now we get to the interesting part. What can be done? And how?
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

jjj

Somehow we need to bring back love into the family life. Not an easy task, but let's think of how this can be achieved... My Idea is EPE or early, philosophical education... what's yours? (Why should I alway put my best notions forward and them be gurgled up as 'wrong' and compared to Hitler?

ivor

It's because you think your so smart that you can play god with genetics just like Hitler did.  No one is smart enough to do this.  You don't know what side effects you'll get not to mention that you reduce diversity when you do it!

The Meromorph

I'm a little startled by the notion of 'bringing back love into family life', when was it ever taken out? And by whom? And how?
If you are saying that some people are dysfunctional and don't show love in their family life, are you then concluding that this is general, or even common? I genuinely don't understand what you're saying here or why you're saying it...
Dances with Motorcycles.

Alpaca

Quote from: jjj on August 17, 2007, 04:17:21 PM
Somehow we need to bring back love into the family life. Not an easy task, but let's think of how this can be achieved... My Idea is EPE or early, philosophical education... what's yours?

I don't have one. That's why I'm asking you. :mrgreen:

(Why should I alway put my best notions forward and them be gurgled up as 'wrong' and compared to Hitler?)

You don't have to, if you don't want to. By the principles of openness and communication we encouraged here, you are free to put forward what ideas you wish, and those who respond are free to put forward what ideas they wish, and you are free to put forward whatever responses you have, and the cycle goes on. Whether I agree with you or not, I am glad to see your willingness to offer your thoughts in this forum. On the other hand, if you would prefer that an idea not be scrutinized and honestly responded to, you are under no obligation to share it.
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

jjj

QuoteI'm a little startled by the notion of 'bringing back love into family life', when was it ever taken out? And by whom? And how? If you are saying that some people are dysfunctional and don't show love in their family life, are you then concluding that this is general, or even common?
Every child wishes to be born into loving family environment. Sadly, this is not always the case. Personally, I enjoyed/suffered both situations and have no doubt which one to recommend. Offering a child a cruel childhood has its serious consequences; not only for the child, but the community at large. Listening to childhood stories of criminal ...one almost pardons their horrendous crimes committed.
The power of parental love is incredible; it changes your whole life. You'll be much happier with yourself and a great spouse!  To thoroughly describe the countless advantages thereof one needs to experience it. Words cannot describe the power of parental love and affection and their impact on our lives. If you suffered a cruel childhood you won't understand what I'm on/ raving about. Forget it!
QuoteOn the other hand, if you would prefer that an idea not be scrutinized and honestly responded to, you are under no obligation to share it.
POINT TAKEN!    ;)

The Meromorph

I find myself unable to change the whole world.
All I can do is change me.
I am committed to that.
I will be what I want the world to be.
Dances with Motorcycles.

goat starer

Somehow we need to bring back love into the family life. Not an easy task, but let's think of how this can be achieved... My Idea is EPE or early, philosophical education... what's yours? (Why should I alway put my best notions forward and them be gurgled up as 'wrong' and compared to Hitler?

may i suggest a programme that will bring puissance through ecstacy?

we could call it..................
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"