News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Unwanted Glitter

Started by Griffin, January 11, 2021, 08:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin

I think I may have a dodgy graphics card or power surges or whatever.

My new laptop is going dark then resurging bright and images have partial areas of glitter. The effect is odd. For example, every word displayed has the first letter glittering in two word story, then the effect wears off. Some images the effect does not wear off. The display is very selective. A mountain scene has just the climber's body showing glitter.

I don't know what to do, I am covered by warranty and care plans, can have on site help, but not while Covid is going on at least until I have the vaccine. On the other hand, I can't survive without a machine (supermarket for example) and "not going mad with boredom".
Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bluenose

I woulld say it's very likely a problem with the display, rather than the graphics card, but I suppose that could be a possibility too.

I understand your reluctance to engage with physical support while the Covid rages on over there.  I had a minor bingle with my car just before we went onto lock down back in March.  Due to me being in an at risk category I delayed getting the assessment done at the time.  My insurance company has been most understanding and now that we have finally come through it and have begun to open up (no, or hardly any cases) I have put it in for repair.  Not a fan of the hire car they've provided.  I mean it's OK so far as it goes, but I wouldn't buy one, it's a Nissan X-trail.  I hate the way the controls work and the sound system and cruise control buttons on the steering wheel are too small and cannot easily be identified by feelm, so you have to look at them to use, which is dangerous as far as I'm concerned.

So, back to your situation I must admit I have difficulty understanding what the UK government thinks it's doing.  If anything, the Victorian experience was that a proper lock down, in our case for about 7 months, can bring the virus under control.  Mandatory mask wearing is an important part of that too.  I just hope that enough people over there get the vaccine for it to become properly effective.  None of that helps fix your display problems, of course.  Is it possible to send it back to the manufacturer for the warranty claim?  Might add some time to the process, but I suppose that there would be lass risk of infection that way.  Otherwise, insist on the technician wearing a mask (you could eve suppy a fresh one for his use) and you go hide in another room while he's there, then when he's done, out with the disinfectant wipes, sanitiser etc.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Griffin

Thanks Blue. Things progressed. It's not doing it any more.

The UK government is trying to reduce the population as far as I can see. Especially anyone vulnerable who might be using resources like benefits.
Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand