News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Let's see each other

Started by Griffin, April 07, 2017, 10:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin

I have a router (actually a BT Hub) connected to a modem. This accesses the Internet (surprise surprise).

So let's call the Hub Nigel.

My Tablet connects to Nigel via wi-fi.

My laptop connects to Nigel via wi-fi.

I want the Tablet and laptop to see each other.

I could do this in earlier windows, but I can't see how to achieve this in Windows 10.

Any ideas?
Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I just saw this.

In Windows, provided both devices are in the same Workgroup you can share a folder to a user (or all users AKA Everyone in the permission screen) and it will be visible from all other devices in the same Workgroup. You have to make sure that not only create the Share but that the permissions for the folder allow the user(s) to see the contents.

There are more details, let me know if you still need help with this.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin

Thanks Zono. I haven't used my tablet since I posted that question. I can't remember what I was wanting to do! I'm possibly going to need to use my tablet in September for a newspaper subscription, so maybe that will jog my memory.
Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

One extra note, you may need to setup an SNB share and/or a SNB tool on the tablet to access said folder, which can be more or less arcane depending on the OS of the tablet.

Bluenose

Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Griffin

Thanks Both. I will eventually do some experimenting. I have lots of fingers in lots of pies at present getting stuff to work with other stuff. Did either of you fall over the demise of POP3? Thank you Microsh$T - in the UK our telecomms, BT have behaved stupidly and tried to force everyone to only ever have online email. However, with the help of open source it is possible to get around this. I do not want to be online for some of my accounts, others I don't mind. But it makes me cross when we are dictated to, knowing it is laziness and money. In the same week BT converted my land line to internet only, so yet more stuff to do to maintain all my phone systems working. Technology is great when it works, but one needs time to adjust to new ways of doing things and I have other things to do, like eat and sleep and go to hospital appointments. I suppose it is partly my fault for having odd set ups to suit the way I like to do stuff.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Those old protocols are insecure as heck, in fact I wouldn't even be surprised if SMTP gets deprecated for something more secure. It's the nature of the times, too many vulnerabilities from the time when no one thought security was a necessity.

Aggie

Amperage questions I can answer, but don't ask me about smart devices. I finally gave in and allowed the boss to get me a tablet for work. I call it Mr. Creepy, keep it blindfolded and gagged (tape on the camera and kept on airplane mode), and lock it in the mud room when I'm not actively using it.

I don't have the bandwidth to fully rant on phones right now... finally had a 10+ year old LG flip phone die and had to switch to a 4G KaiOS flip (then bought a Nokia flip hoping it would be better) and am utterly disappointed by the new versions. The Motorola W385 I had in 2007 was nearly perfect in terms of functionality, and it's been downhill ever since. The new one (Nokia 2780) won't allow me to type the word 'I', with a capital I, using less than 4 keystrokes when texting. It has also helpfully auto-suggested the word 'Klan' with a capital K. Maybe that's why I had to buy it from Amazon.com and get it shipped from America, as it was completely unavailable from any Canadian source.
WWDDD?

Griffin

** steam coming out of Aggie's head **

I think we all get frustrated with technology. There seems to be an unwritten law that no appliance should be good in all areas. Choosing new equipment means learning new stuff most of which one never uses.

I've just been forced to buy a smart phone which is one of the smaller ones on the market but it is enormous compared to my current one. I am furious as it won't fit in my pockets or bag sections and is unwieldly. But it's a standard size so other people must think they need it so big. Have to shift everything on to it, such time waster. There's nothing wrong with my current phone but the battery is failing and it's impossible to replace (which I think should be criminal).
Psychic Hotline Host

Aggie

I have opinions on appropriate technologies. I have quite liked the mix of ancient and modern tech in my Biolite camp stove, which can use burning wood to charge other things via USB. Bicycles may be the pinnacle of appropriate technology; a modern road racing bike is a tiny amount of mass relative to the human-powered speed it can achieve.

Best of all might be the axe; it's just a piece of wood and a piece of steel, is easy to maintain, and can perform all sorts of necessary (in my world) tasks, from turning trees into a garden fence to being a last line of defense against a bear attack. I have a Swedish-made hatchet that comes on most adventures with me, and a big razor sharp felling axe from the same company that absolutely terrifies me more than any other tool I own (including hunting rifles). Guns are easier to control and less likely to cause unintended amputations.
WWDDD?

Darlica

Quote from: Aggie on October 26, 2023, 05:10:35 AMBest of all might be the axe; it's just a piece of wood and a piece of steel, is easy to maintain, and can perform all sorts of necessary (in my world) tasks, from turning trees into a garden fence to being a last line of defense against a bear attack. I have a Swedish-made hatchet that comes on most adventures with me, and a big razor sharp felling axe from the same company that absolutely terrifies me more than any other tool I own (including hunting rifles). Guns are easier to control and less likely to cause unintended amputations.

Colour me curious!

What company are the axes from?

I have taken up woodcarving (amogst other things) since I used to be around here.

Also not sure about you feelings about guns vs axes. I can close an axe wound on my own... 😏
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Aggie

I like my Gränfors Bruk axes very much. They aren't cheap, but are good quality.
https://www.gransforsbruk.com

Guns are potentially very dangerous when someone else is holding them, but generally safe when oneself is holding them and following appropriate safety precautions, even if the user is inexperienced. I learned to target shoot at 5 years old, and my sister started around 3, with heavy adult supervision and many, many safety lectures. I wouldn't have been allowed to use an axe at that age, I think. I'm no gun nut but hold an unrestricted (simple hunting rifles) license and do a little bit of subsistence hunting for grouse with a small-gauge .22 caliber rifle. I may take up deer hunting again some day but don't like the amount of variables that can make it tough to ensure a clean, quick kill. Slaughtering livestock is more controlled and more humane (and tends to involve sharp objects). And honestly... I'm far deadlier with a fishing rod! I eat a lot of 'land food' (foraged, gardened, fished or hunted) so a gun is a food-procurement tool for me, albeit a dangerous one if used incorrectly.

Small axes are reasonably safe if one is careful, but I've had some strange deflections on the felling axe that made me realize the potential for sudden foot loss or shin bifurcation. For felling, you need to keep an axe about as sharp as a good kitchen knife; one of my friends cut himself on the blade simply by touching it lightly with his thumb (despite being warned that it was sharp).

I can't sew a foot back on, personally; shooting myself in the foot with a .22 would be painful but not potential fatal in a short period of time. I won't use that axe alone, and it has a zero-blood-alcohol rating (as do all guns). I have a one beer limit on my good Gränfors hatchet when camping; it's sharp but much more predictable.

I am a little more permissible with my (not Gränfors) splitting axe (but closed toed, preferably steel-toed footwear is required) and do not have any particular limits on my cheap, dull kindling hatchet, which could cause nasty bruises but would not easily remove pieces from my body.
WWDDD?

Darlica

I have one of the smaller range Gränsfors axes too. 😊

And I certainly see your point. Both with axes and guns.

To me, guns are a completely alian thing, I neither have or ever had any hunters in my circle of friends or family.

Sharp tools however (including sharp power tools), have been in my close proximity all my life.
I guess even if I know what sort of dammage a felling axe could do, I never really think about as there is no way on this green earth I could ever swing one and I stand corrected. 😊

As for the carving knifes and axes I own I pride myself with keeping them sharp enough to shave the hairs of my arm. Honestly, they are pretty usless in any other state as dull carving tools are more prone to slip and injure you and/ or mess up your work.😊

My (maternal) grandfather was a carpenter and taugth me how to use a lot of tools as a kid rather than hide them (that would have been impossible they were everywhere) or forbid me to touch them.
Of cause I only got to use the ones I was strong enough to handle safely and he was allways there to supervise me when needed. 😊

He also told me to respect the tools and never use them in a maner or for a task they wasn't made for because that's when they nip or bite.

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous