News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Christmas Day/Boxing Day a write off.

Started by Griffin NoName, December 28, 2015, 02:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Looks like I got my new tablet/laptop just in time. I am typing this on it right now...... because my ancient Sony Vaio, my trusty machine, much loved, had some terrible thing happen to it. Lots of disc corruption on Christmas Day.

My data files are fine. I backed up 2 weeks ago, and haven't done much since.

At one point there were NO system files on c: (I only have one partition), but by running a million and one recovery tools over and over I now have Vista SP 1 on the c: drive.

Trouble is it won't boot off the hard drive. I can get a command prompt by going via a recovery CD and I got the last two weeks' data files off by using a Sony Vaio recovery utility. If I try to boot into Safe Mode it loads all the drivers, then presents a black screen with "Safe Mode" in white letters in all 4 corners of the screen, but no sign of a more normal safe mode screen. I can only get this by booting off a recovery disc on CD.

If I boot off hard disc, it doesn't boot. It stays with the underscore symbol flashing top left..... and a blank screen.  The hard disc is fine as I can use it with the command prompt as above. I've run various hardware checks. I've run AVG rescue disc. I've run System Repair which is now saying everything is good - but no dice with boot off hard disc. I've also run sfc /scannow and chkdsk - which I think actually made the corruption worse before I re-ran them a hundred times to repair it all.

Given I've got my files, I could just ditch the machine. But I was planning to use it as a spare machine as I am totally dependent on the internet for everything in my life.

So, any ideas how to repair the boot sector?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bluenose

How big is the hard drive? I have a fairly new 500 GB 2.5 inch drive that I just replaced with a SSD you could have. Would you be up for a system rebuild? It sounds like you've had a disk crash and i would not be trying to recover the drive as I suspect that will be just an exercise in futility and frustration. One possible alternative if you don't feel up to it would be to wait till I get there and I could do it, but that's not till May.  LOL  If you would like the drive pm me your address and I'll send it to you.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Griffin NoName

That's so kind Blue. The drive is 256 GB. When you come would be fine. Thanks so much.

I think it's definitely the hard drive. I did play around a little more just because I am pig-headed.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bluenose

Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Griffin NoName

Great.

I still have to get data files onto my new machine, and just in case and as I can get data files off with a recovery disc, in the event there are any missing from backup, I am keeping the old machine beside me. But shortly it will be put out to grass, awaiting Dr Blue.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bluenose