News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

New 2 in 1

Started by Griffin NoName, September 30, 2015, 01:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

I just bought this:

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=F1P93EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB#cart

The screen is a tablet which detaches from the "power keyboard". I wanted one that was hinged like this rather than 360 degress ones because the back of my laptop is right on the edge of the laptop cushion I use so could not support one that has a flap at the back to keep it upright. I need a laptop, I don't really need a tablet, but I desired one.

My current laptop keeps going into a furiously flashing disc access process making those "working" noises which go on for ever and means I cannot run anything at all, eg. it takes up the whole machine and I don't know what it is. Well, I do know what it is, it is infuriating. So far I have not found any way of identifying what it is. I have to reboot really often. Also, gets very hot, fan probably choked with dust, and it does make a lot of noise, and it is on the motherboard and I am not replacing that......... hence a new laptop.

The upshot of all this is that I have to do the upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro 65. to free Windows 10 Pro 65 myself as the one with it pre-installed is not available anywhere even though it is on HP website, so that's annoying.

Anyway, all done, I think it arrives Thursday or Friday.

There's quite a lot of work setting up Windows 10 due to the fact that their privacy agreement means MS collect everything that happens on the machine including keystrokes, so have to go around setting (or unsetting) everything that makes this possible (of which the average user willbe unaware).
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on September 30, 2015, 01:55:36 AM
There's quite a lot of work setting up Windows 10 due to the fact that their privacy agreement means MS collect everything that happens on the machine including keystrokes, so have to go around setting (or unsetting) everything that makes this possible (of which the average user willbe unaware).

WTF?  Auuuuugh technology. :P  Guess I'm sticking with Windows 7 as long as this laptop keeps kicking. I think I've got an old tower around here with '98 somewhere, might have to dust that off.  ;)
WWDDD?

Bluenose

I've been pretty happy with Windows 10, the one thing I think is essential is to install Classic Shell the current version of which is designed for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. This installs a proper menu like windows 7 but still allows you to access the Metro stuff if you really insist ;). I have found 10 to be pretty stable and I think it's faster than the other versions. One 10 glitch you might see is when you select "shutdown" the computer reboots instead. If this happens to you there's an easy fix but I'm on my phone atm and I won't rely on memory to tell you how to change the necessary setting. Chances are you won't have the problem anyway. Good luck with the change over.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Griffin NoName

Everything should be faster. For example can now actually use the 8GB ram instead of being restricted to 4 GB. Better processor. 32 bit -> 64 bit. etc.  so if Windows itself is also faster, that's a big plus (provided it does what one wants and doesn't just do what one doesn't want faster).

Thanks for the tips Blue.

I might have stuck with win 7 aggie if I had it, but my current isntall is Vista. Performance is so bad I keep wanting to kill myself LoL. The usual rule is don't buy 1st version, wait for 1st service pack, but with Win 10 I thought not heard anything really bad and it must be better than Vista.

Anyway, I have Win 8.1 Pro 64 at present, well at least I am assuming I have, I've had the machine out of the box, and I LOVE it, but haven't switched it on yet - in fact it is still in its plastic wrappers.

My next job is to work out if I have enough amps left (~ 1 amp neede) on my 13 amp socket for this new machine. I have a hundred and one things already plugged into it. In fact I am so short of sockets I'd need an electrician if not (to give me another socket somehow.....) which would seriously affect how much this machine has cost me. It's because I do everything in bed.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand