News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What Philosophical School of thought are you in?

Started by Griffin NoName, December 12, 2014, 02:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

https://www.playbuzz.com/julianr12/what-philosophical-school-of-thought-are-you-in?pbg=8029

This is what I got:

A deeply rational School of Thought, Platonism seeks to examine and explore above all else. Although we may not reach the answers in this life a Platonist believes they are still out there.
"Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil"
- Plato

which is slightly odd, as there was a question incluing the option to respond there's nothing after death which I selected and the above implies there is "something".
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Supposedly I'm a skeptic/sceptic which may have a level of veracity, but the test is incomplete, I missed the existential options in the test and could only spot one truly Kantian question. Frankly, like many of these tests, it seems incredibly reductive.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

I expected to come out as a sceptic but it ended up humanist instead.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Darlica

Sceptic.

I suppose that might be close to the truth but there was several questions
/ statements  where I mostly wanted to click on a non existing "non of the above" alternative...

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Aggie

Working on it right now...  there's nothing in the answers to the What is Reality? question that works for me. All seem too constricted.  Some of the others were also pretty option-less (IMHO) and tailored to funnel you into one category or another.

So... what Zono said.  It's reductionist.  I like the tests that will give you a % score per category a bit better, to see if you're a bit of a blend.

I came out as a Platonist, all said and done.

Quote from: Griffin NoName on December 12, 2014, 02:15:49 AM
A deeply rational School of Thought, Platonism seeks to examine and explore above all else. Although we may not reach the answers in this life a Platonist believes they are still out there.

which is slightly odd, as there was a question incluing the option to respond there's nothing after death which I selected and the above implies there is "something".

I take that as a parallel to "Science can hypothetically deduce all answers regarding reality, but probably hasn't done so yet". IOW, there are answers out there; within your lifespan you might not be able to find all of them, but that does not mean someone else cannot find them in the future.

I tend to agree with that mindset. I personally think that there is quite a bit that we lump under the category of supernatural bunkus that might be explained eventually by scientific inquiry (especially with regards to understanding the human brain and the nature of consciousness). A lot of our cutting-edge theoretical approaches are still analogous to exploring a cave system with a candle, and our empirical data is necessarily limited by the state of our technology.

The example I always trot out is that we only got around to understanding electromagnetic waves about 150 years ago, and were able to detect all portions of the spectrum as we know it somewhat later than that. That seems like a fair bit of time in terms of generations, but it's really only two full human lifetimes ago. To think that we've gone from there to a full understanding of the universe around us in that time is ridiculous.
WWDDD?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I got "humanism".

But, the test was flawed, in my opinion-- as others have already noted, too many of the questions I wanted to say "none of the above" or fill in my *real* answer.  So I picked one at random in some cases, or a distant 3rd choice (as first and second were missing).

I took that same quiz the other day on Facebook, and deliberately tried to force a particular outcome.  I found the more I took it, the easier this became.

It's a silly game, I suppose-- too shallow. 
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Yes, these tests are always games. But can be fun.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

goat starer

Says I am a skeptic... But I'm not sure I believe it
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Darlica

Quote from: goat starer on December 30, 2014, 04:31:54 PM
Says I am a skeptic... But I'm not sure I believe it

:ROFL:
True to your style as always!
Welcome back!
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

The Meromorph

Bah! Humbug!

Philosophers are just like Theologists, only more opinionated!  ::)
Wittgenstein the Elder is the only one that makes any kind of sense to ordinary people. (after he spent some years as an elementary school teacher...)

Kelp Roots, I say.  Kelp Roots.   ;D
Dances with Motorcycles.