News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Higher Education

Started by Opsa, March 04, 2014, 06:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Aggie- I tend to do that sort of thing, too. Now we have to figure out what sort of work lends itself to that sort of technique....? Either that or how to trust that what we've been asked to do is quite enough, thank you.

roystonoboogie

I am with Lindorm here. My real passion is music: playing it; writing it; to a lesser extent listening to it. But the last time I had a formal lesson I was still in my teens.

I used to be equally passionate about film, but then I got a job in a small commercial video production company. I learned all about storyboarding, blocking out shots, directing actors, editing, dubbing (well, I learned something about them, not all about them). It ruined lots of movies for me. To this day 20-odd years later a poorly executed reaction shot, or even a good one, and my suspension of disbelief crashes and I find myself looking at it as a technical piece, and I am NO LONGER WATCHING THE MOVIE!

So don't study the thing you love most. But study something you like.

I earn my beer and toys money playing music. £100 of music money is so much more precious than £100 of salary. But even if I had the chance to make it the day job, play music for adverts for toilet paper, teach unruly tenage scruffs their chops and licks, I'm not sure I would. It's a fantastic bolt-on to my daily life, and I don't know how well I would cope if it was a grind, a chore, and I didn't have another 'thing' to look forward to.

Griffin NoName

I so know what you mean RB. My ex was an academic in staging and we went to about 9,500 plays/films a week, to be thoroughly mangled by critique afterwards. I so couldn't actually watch anything.

Even many years later, I find I can't suspend disbelief in the number of murders they have in Midsomer. :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand