News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Local Humour

Started by Aggie, October 05, 2013, 12:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Posted a Red Green video in another thread, and realized that we don't have a designated place for what's considered funny in our home countries.  (I think that British humour has pretty good exposure here, but more is of course welcome.)

It might be interesting to see what humour travels well, and what doesn't.

I'll kick it off with some up-and-coming Canadian humour (NSFW due to language):
[youtube=425,350]_KLSbCtinXs[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]ozDDYcyrCNE[/youtube]
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

This puts those whose native language is not English at a true disadvantage because the humour from their countries is unlikely to be understood by most in its original form (and too much gets lost in trasnlation)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

Ayuh, I realize that...  it's a little biased on that front.  However, that applies mostly to verbal humour.... some slapstick perhaps? Some things are funny even without understanding the words, or don't require words. Quebec comedy producers use this to get around regional language barriers here:

[youtube=425,350]RFFy_S7IqeM[/youtube]

Also, local slang usage will work against some material.

WWDDD?

Bluenose

Some Aussie humour:

[youtube=425,350]KpBYnL5fAXE[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]jTd1Zb8PXgw[/youtube]
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.