News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Remodeling

Started by Opsa, May 15, 2013, 07:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

We live in a 1920's American country bungalow. It is very plain, not the cool Arts and Crafts style bungalows of the same era, although it has hardwood floors, wide trim and rosettes on the top corners of every window and doorway.

Inside, it was just a small living room, dining room, tiny bathroom and two very small bedrooms with shallow, tiny closets. About eleven years ago we had some money and added on another two bedrooms and a bathroom in back. The old front part has always felt like an ant farm, you have to weave through a little square hallway to get from living room to dining room. We guess this was designed this way to keep warm air contained in the winter, but in the summer before air condition, I can't imagine how they kept cool, because there is no airflow.

Mr. Ops and I dreamed of opening the wall between the living and dining room. For a long time we couldn't afford to do it, but when Grandpa Ops passed away last year, he left enough money for us to be able to do a couple of things to the house that we've wanted to do, so we are going for it.

Having had twenty years in the house to think about it, we had a good idea of what we wanted: an 8 foot wide passage between the two front rooms with the same trim and rosettes found everywhere else in the house. We also thought that built-in bookcases would be nice, and save room in the small rooms for other furniture. We also needed the floors sanded and refinished.

It took us a while to find a carpenter we liked, but last fall a guy came and dug up our front lawn to install pipes. He was dependable, and did a neat job, so we asked him to install a couple of new doors on the back porch, which again he did easily and nicely. So finally we asked if he could do the wall, and we agreed on a price.

He started on Monday, and by the end of the day he and a helper had cut the new opening and hauled away the debris. Even with all the dust, we were thrilled to see the sunlight shining in from the front room to the back. Yesterday he sanded the floors. Today he is working on the threshold between the rooms.

The carpenter is very polite and lets us know when he comes in and when he leaves, which is a change from the guys who did the add-on all those years ago. We never knew when to expect them, or when they'd suddenly disappear. He is a youngish guy (late thirties), quite and humble. He is not perfect, I had to ask him about how level the top of the opening was- he had measured it from the floor, which is old and bows in the middle, so that one side was a little lower than the other. But I think he's okay. At least we communicate well, which is good. He has come up with some thoughtful solutions. I mostly just leave him alone so he can work.

I don't expect perfection, but hopefully, it will all go fine and we'll wind up with improved flow and a better space.

Griffin NoName

It must be nice to live in the place for so long and finally get it how you want. I always did stuff to my properties - building etc - to pull them round, but then inevitably moved on. I regret leaving each one, except of course they are in the wrong place, city etc. for my life now. I hope this guy finishes up as you have visualised.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

Thank you, I hope so too, at least to a reasonable vision.

We may well leave here eventually, but at least we have a chance to get it more to our liking while we're still here.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Way cool! 

The newest ideas in living space is the "open concept" idea, where openings are wide, allowing a feeling of passage between each space.

Kudos on finding a guy who's work you like.  :)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

That sounds lovely, Opsa!  Can you post a pic or two when it's finished?
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

Sure. I have before photos to put with after photos. Keep your fins crossed that it all goes well!

Darlica

I think it's nice that you have decided to remodel your home instead of hunting for a new one. I really hope the result will be what you where after.
I look forward to the pics. :)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Opsa

So far, we're okay. There are a few things we're going to ask the carpenter to fix when he comes tomorrow. The high humidity is making the refinished floors dry slowly. Today Mr. Ops and I went to get paint mixed. The first guy mixed the paint wrong, so we had to go back and get it re-done. But other than that, it's gone pretty well. Knock on re-finished wood!

Opsa

:update:

All right- it's done. We haven't put the pictures back up on the walls or the books on the shelves (buncha other stuff, but not the books), but I'm posting below the before and after shots. We're very pleased.

Darlica

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

pieces o nine

Wow!  Looks open, warm, and nice!
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Aggie

Very nice!  I like the molding around the opening, and the new wall colour.  :thumbsup:
WWDDD?

Opsa

Thank you! We wanted the wall color to be more warm and inviting. The dining room, which is near the entrance is Glidden's 'Refreshing Mimosa' and the interior room is 'Juicy Cantaloupe', a deeper color that draws the eye in. We decided to be a bit more adventuresome with color than we had been before and are happy with the results. It's sort of hard to see the colors in the photos, though.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I do so love your natural-wood trim.  So many folk opt for the easier way out (paint), but I prefer the look of wood grain.

Very nicely done.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

Thank you! The wood was all painted when we bought the place 22 years ago, and we took care to remove it because we love natural wood trim, too. There were many layers, and I lost many brain cells pulling it off with chemical solvents, even though I used a respirator. It was worth it, though.