News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Right to Die

Started by Griffin NoName, March 12, 2012, 09:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on March 30, 2012, 10:50:34 PM
I think the worst place to be, is seeing a face you know you ought to know (from their expression if nothing else) but you cannot-- no matter how hard you try-- remember why this person should be important to you...

There is a specific disorder Prosopagnosia - Face Blindness. A friend of mine has it.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 30, 2012, 11:32:01 PM
I think the worst place to be, is seeing a face you know you ought to know (from their expression if nothing else) but you cannot-- no matter how hard you try-- remember why this person should be important to you...

There is a specific disorder Prosopagnosia - Face Blindness. A friend of mine has it.

I've heard of that-- is it true that sounds can substitute for this malady?  In that, once they hear a person's voice, they recognize who they are?
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Roland Deschain

A thorny issue, no doubt, especially when considering a change in personality. My nan had alzheimer's, although it wasn't as bad as it could have been. There were quite a few occasions where she'd just forget things such as where she was or who anyone else was. It was as if she'd regressed 10 or 20 years in her mind. What I will say is that she was coherent when she died, and knew where she was, etc, so it would definitely depend on the severity of the disease. It's a scary thought that one day I may be of an advanced age, and not know who I am, but I think i'd rather die gracefully, and at a time of my choosing (like Aragorn in LotR, although i'm not sure i'll reach 200 years old), than waste away.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I'm with you there---

-- I keep coming back to Dumbledoor's death-- "in the manner of his own choosing".
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on March 31, 2012, 02:14:22 AM
Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 30, 2012, 11:32:01 PM

I've heard of that-- is it true that sounds can substitute for this malady?  In that, once they hear a person's voice, they recognize who they are?

I don't know.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

^  I've seen a few interviews with neurologists on this; can't find the video links right now, but I'll keep looking for one in particular that was relevant to this discussion. There were some interesting data on people who can recognize others by their voices, although not by their faces.

Some people [recognize] the person but are convinced that s/he is an imposter, which is in a different category.

I thought V.S. Ramachandran was on a GoogleTalk or TED on this . . . looking . . .
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677