News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Walk-Off: The Cuff Links of God

Started by Scriblerus the Philosophe, July 09, 2010, 09:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriblerus the Philosophe

So Robert and I were IMing each other and cooked up this silly little movie idea today, based on le Sapeurs. We thought we'd put it before you, dear siblings, for a NAY or YEA vote as to whether it's an idea worth pursuing.

Setting: The Congo

Premise: Etu is the sole survivor of a recently burned down village. This was done on the orders of Geslin Kabuli, the Fashion Warlord, who also a Seeker of the Relics Moste Fashionable (items which bring the wearer immense power), because another Seeker (Yang Wang) was hiding there. Yang, after the fires have died down, wanders the village and finds Etu, who is sitting in the ruins of his home and nearly blind with grief. He promises to train Etu in karate so that he might avenge his family and friends. Geslin, however wields the Fancy Sword of Instantaneous Death, so he must train hard. Also, it must be said that Geslin has broken the Code of Fashionable Gentlemen by personally participating in combat (All members of the Cult of Fashionable Gentlemen, known to the unenlightened in these days as le Sapeurs, must live by the code of Fashionable Gentlemen).

It turns out that Geslin (and many others) are seeking the Cuff Links of God, which will grant absolute power to whoever wears them. The other Seekers are  Abu Khan, the Sorcerer of Style and his lefthand lady, the Leopard Skin Jacket Woman; Gegiel the fallen angel (who wants to use the Cuff Links to open the gates of hell); The Boss/Mr. Makubwa; and The Pimp, Manjano Biri.

Cast:
Etu Mwanamume: Our Hero

Yang Wang: Sidekick, mentor, Karate master!

Geslin Kabuli: the Fashion Warlord

Abu Khan: the Sorcerer of Style

The Leopard Skin Jacket Woman: Abu Khan's Lefthand Woman.

Gegiel: Fallen Angel

The Boss/Mr. Makubwa

and his Four: front man, Nili, and back row, right to left: Batamwanzi (Bata), Damushati (Shati), and Kidogo.

The Pimp: Manjano Biri

Tommy Gun Wielder: Baya Degaga

Driver of The Pimpmobile:Refu Tai

The Pimpmobile

So. Thoughts?
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling DavidH

Looks like it has the makings of a really fun project, Scrib and Robert.  Just one small technical correction, however - that's a pipe, not a Tommy Gun.  Just so's you know.  :mrgreen:

LURVE those sock suspenders!

Aggie

o.O

....but not necessarily in a bad way.  Could actually work as a low-budget indie flick, for cult consumption.  Anything too slick might seem a little too Kill Bill.
WWDDD?

RobertMason

Quote from: Aggie on July 09, 2010, 10:15:42 PM
o.O

....but not necessarily in a bad way.  Could actually work as a low-budget indie flick, for cult consumption.  Anything too slick might seem a little too Kill Bill.

/realizes that he needs to actually finish watching those movies

Still, there'd actually be less violence than it seems like, at first. Only Kabuli (who broke the Code) and the pimp's two men (who aren't Fashionable Gentlemen, despite their looks, and so aren't bound by the Code) would actually be capable of dealing in a violent fashion (fortunately for everyone else, they can figure out ways to protect themselves, either through ingenuity or their Relics Moste Fashionable).
Whitemarbleblock.blogspot.com

Stories, story ideas, and other things usually having to do with stories.

Aggie

Ah, I don't suppose a Tarantino-level of violence; the Code requiring abstinence from such is a nice touch (and reflects actual values, by a quick browse of the link Scrib gave).  Stylistics, I mean.

WWDDD?

RobertMason

One thing to be figured out is what the consequences of expulsion from the Cult of Fashionable Gentlemen are. We've determined, though, that refusing a direct Challenge to Walk-off would result in losing the powers of your Relics Moste Fashionable. This is one of the reasons why Kabuli sent in his soldiers to kill Yang Wang, instead of going in after the man himself; had he done so, Yang Wang could have issued a Challenge to Walk-Off.

Generally, the winner of a Walk-Off takes the Relics Moste Fashionable of the loser. However, the Challenger can instead dictate what will happen if he wins. The Challenged then replies with what will happen if -he- wins, and the Challenger may, if these terms are unacceptable to him, withdraw the Challenge to Walk-Off. For example the Sorcerer of Style, Abu Khan, requires that his opponents offer up their scalp should he win. The terms may otherwise violate the Code.

It has also just now been determined over IM that the Challenge to Walk-Off summons up a group of ghostly Fallen Gentlemen to judge the competition.

One of the Popes might be such a judge.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Benjamin Disraeli and Anansi the Spider are also listed. Suggestions?
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Aggie

David Bowie.... albeit still alive.
[youtube=425,350]InIxKCa3H9g[/youtube]

oops, sorry to be a spoilsport - I'm sure you're aware that you're channeling pop culture here.
WWDDD?

RobertMason

As I recall, David Bowie is not alive, in fact.

Oh. Is Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog not considered a trustworthy source of information on this forum?

Aggie

Bowie's a phoenix, able to remake himself as required.  ;)

hmm...  maybe I should be talkin' to you and Scrib about the Ziggy Stardust graphic novel idea I've had rattling around in my brain-box for a few years. Fine lot of good it'll do me, being neither an artist nor a writer.  ::)
WWDDD?

RobertMason

Bowie's the Goblin King, as my dear appy Pistachios would be all too quick to point out, and death's but an illusion for him.*

*Although if she were pointing this out, there'd also be some more attention paid to how hot he is, etc etc, and also some questioning as to whether or not you knew of some good Sarah/Jareth smut. But I am not Pistachios, and so you are spared this.**

**Although now, while I may not be interested in Bowie/Jareth himself, I -am- very interested in seeing a Dark Crystal/Labyrinth crossover.