News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

An interesting proposition

Started by The Meromorph, October 25, 2006, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Meromorph

I found this over at TOP.
I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would like others here to comment.
It seems thoroughly well argued to me, though I'd class it as 'the level of explanation appropriate to our intellectual development' just as I'd justify any of the other 'religious' 'creation myths' from 'primitive cultures'

http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal
Dances with Motorcycles.

Sibling Spoffish

How very interesting! Creative, logical, well-argued, and enjoyable. Plus it makes sense. Like, really makes sense. I'll have to watch for other things he writes. :)
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, when you DO criticize him, you are a mile away, and have his shoes.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I'd seen this about 6 months or so ago on a science forum.  It is a very compelling story.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

It's a matter for another thread, but I'm conflicted on whether I actually want humankind to achieve even a Type I civilization.  There's going to be some serious environmental consequences to moving forward as a species.
WWDDD?

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

I wouldn't believe Humans could make it to Type II. like he said, many planets kill themselves off. I really wouldn't count that out as a possiblity.

I don't think any species should have any civilization. maybe as many tools as most primates, but nothing allowing mass migration like the exodus from africa.

~Qwerty
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Agujjim on October 26, 2006, 06:33:56 PM
It's a matter for another thread, but I'm conflicted on whether I actually want humankind to achieve even a Type I civilization.  There's going to be some serious environmental consequences to moving forward as a species.

I agree - having read all the classic end-of-civilization stories, that there likely will be serious consequences before it gets better.

However, I am also counting on the tenacity of the ability of humans to survive in heinous conditions -- and prosper in spite of them.

At some point, humans may be the only species of note left on a nearly blighted world - but Earth is not the only resource available to humans.  There's an overabundance of raw materials, including organic stuff (comets) available to a race that lifts itself out of it's nest.

Indeed, does a birdling not need a foul nest, before it's inspired enough and has courage enough, to fly?

Time will tell, of course. My only regret is that I'll not be around to see it.  ;D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Willowsmith

Personally I found myself agreeing with much of what was in the article. However, I feel that our species will leave too much of this planet deprived of the life sustaining materials, aka air, clean water, space to grow food, way before we are ever capable of lifting ourselves out of our nest. We are also too enamored of the idea of self importance as of yet to even begin to work as a cohesive whole. We too often have the us versus them mentality that leads to wars. We are also filling this world too fast, usuing too many materials too fast. Our beautiful world is a wonder and works hard but there is a limit to how fast we can push her. And I think that is as it should be. We have reached the bounds already for the amout of humans this world can hold, we are building on farm land, cutting down trees to build houses without replacing them, simply put we are abusing what we were givin acting as though it is our right. We do not own the earth, nor do we own the creatures on it. This is just my humble opinion, but I think we will kill ourselves off. Not with a big explosion, but quietly overpopulating our world becoming sick in mind and body then fading away.
The only thing I know for sure is how much I do not yet know.

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

y'know, an alien invasion or better, a hostile alien colonization of mars of some sort would likely be beneficial for humans. we naturally conform to Us v. Them mentality, so it's hard to override that. but if we have a non-human them, i.e. war with aliens, then there is a much better 'us'.

plus, the aliens will have completed the terraforming of mars :D

~Qwerty

~Qwerty
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

Willowsmith

Whoo hoo, no kidding the us vs. them plus them doing the work for us! If that isn't the golden goose for humanity I don't know what is.
The only thing I know for sure is how much I do not yet know.

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

of course my little plan was theoretical. the aliens would be threatening ALL humans, so its not 'them doing the work for us'.

but yeah, it's only theory. like communism. mmmmmmm... communism....

~Qwerty

Swatopluk

And the alien version of terraforming might not be suitable for us (remember The Tripods and their plan to convert Earth atmosphere to the poisonous green gas they need for breathing?).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.