News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

G-d rather hates Higgs particles, and attempts to avoid them - quote

Started by Griffin NoName, October 16, 2009, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Deschain

Childhood literacy is all about two things: parental/guardian encouragement, and natural ability. I used to read the labels on mum and dad's LPs when they were playing, and I was 3 at the time. I could read before I started infant school (my handwriting was carp, though :mrgreen: ), and had a reading ability well above my actual age. I know i'm not unusual in that, but so many people don't do this.

I look upon early take-up of reading, and educational attainment in general, like vaccination. If you encourage enough parents and children to do so, it vaccinates the majority against the minority who appear not to care, and you go from a culture of ignorance to one of enlightenment.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

I too could read before infant school. So much so, that in reading lessons I was co-opted to help other children with their reading. Slave labour, never got paid for it. By the age of 7 or 8 I had read the whole of the local childrens library so started on the adult books. Unfortunately A LA Recherche Du Temps Perdu proved a little too difficult and I have never returned to it, but I do remember lapping up Ulysses. I could have been obnoxiously precocious but I read secretly in my bedroom and the activity/knowledge I gained was not used!! though as an adult I wasn't so shy.

Agree on early reading/education. However, it seems you really can't teach some people (for varying reasons). Maybe it should be given as a real vaccination; we just need the science.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand