News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

G-d rather hates Higgs particles, and attempts to avoid them - quote

Started by Griffin NoName, October 16, 2009, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Could the Large Hadron Collider be held back by its own future?

............hypothesis centres around the Higgs Boson, a mysterious tiny particle and building block of life that it is hoped the LHC will discover.

They have come up with a theory that it [the Higgs Boson] will "ripple backward through time" and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

ivor

Shouldn't you be able to track it backwards in time by watching it in reverse?  What if it goes forwards in time?

Opsa

What a wacky theory! I now formulate the theory that it will stand still and never age a day.

Griffin NoName

If the Higgs Bosun can go back and forwards in time, it can choose to be any age, and presumably all ages. That's my theory.

I wonder if it is hung up on being a singularity and must eliminate all clones? It sounds as if it is a very busy particle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Has the LHC experiement actually demonstrated something other than what it was desiigned for - a common ocurrence. To wit, time travel works if you build very long tunnels?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I maintain that there is only *one* particle, which flits back and forth through time, doubling and re-doubling itself to appear as if there are quadrillions....

:)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

so...............just all smoke and mirrors?

Perhaps Derren Brown could throw some light on it.

And has anyone considered the collider may be haunted, or built on the wrong lay lines?
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I think that more than haunted the collider haunts those who fear the results of the experiments.

Or perhaps the physicists have to spend more time with engineers to understand that sh!t happens in this business, or perhaps the chain crash reaction in the super-kamiokande a few years ago was the result of rogue neutrinos that didn't want to be discovered?
::) ::) ::)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Jayna

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on October 17, 2009, 02:21:01 AM
I maintain that there is only *one* particle, which flits back and forth through time, doubling and re-doubling itself to appear as if there are quadrillions....

:)

I have always maintained that the world is made up of a single particle. At least, I've maintained something along those lines since that one cocktail party when I got really drunk and had to be rescued from some guy who tried to follow me into the bathroom, and then after my friends made him leave I passed out on the couch.
It's true. Zan got hosed on the superpower thing.

Aggie

You've heard of HSM Theory?  :o

I expounded on this at length a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. ;)
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

With the greatest respect I believe the FSM and the Higgs Bosun are two distinct entities and I am not even convinced how they would take to each other should they ever meet.
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

If you had seen the movie Silk, Griffin, then you would know what the connection between large particle accelerators, lay lines and haunting is.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Jayna

Quote from: Agujjim on October 17, 2009, 04:25:37 AM
You've heard of HSM Theory?  :o

I expounded on this at length a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. ;)

HSM Theory? Do tell!
It's true. Zan got hosed on the superpower thing.

Aggie

I have the full thread stashed somewhere (might be on my old crashed computer :P) but briefly, and without reference to fictional internet-meme dieties (sic), it's the concept that apparently separate objects in any given dimensional plane could plausibly be the manifestation of a single object in a higher dimension.

For example, there's nothing you could draw in two dimensions that couldn't be the cross-section of a (complex) three-dimensional single object.

Are you familiar with Flatland?  It's explores some of the the same ideas, although HSM theory makes some specific speculations on the nature of the 4th (or higher) dimensional* object which could manifest as "reality" as we know it in the 3rd dimension.

*spatial dimensions here; I tend to regard placing time as the 4th dimension to be an artificial construct of human observation - a two-dimensional animation has 2 dimensions + time, so time's more of a '0th' dimension in my mind.

Part of the reason I formerly claimed the title of 'False Prophet', in Other Places. ;)
WWDDD?

Opsa

Aha! Might this then explain why Jayna's hairdo appears both here and in the Guess the Movie Game threads simultaneously?

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on October 17, 2009, 09:38:21 AM
If you had seen the movie Silk, Griffin, then you would know what the connection between large particle accelerators, lay lines and haunting is.

Sounds like a reason not to see it ;D

By the way, an easy question, why isn't the singular of movies: movy?
Psychic Hotline Host