News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Astronomy Toadfish Nerds Unite!

Started by Opsa, October 17, 2006, 07:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

When does it become visible in the Southern Hemishere?

I might see if I can get a phot and post it here.  Can't wait!

Sibling Bluenose
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Opsa

Hey Bluenose!

This article: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/halleybeating-comet-to-glow-in-the-sunset/2007/01/12/1168105180973.html
suggests you may be able to see it Sunday or Monday.

Looks like we may be too cloudy to see it tonight. :(

Please do send a photo if you can!

Aggie

It's rumoured to be visible here (college radio), but can't see it from my balcony.  Durns...  gonna have to try get outside and out of the skyscrapers at dusk.
WWDDD?

Bluenose

Local radio suggested it should be visible this morning and the next two or three nights.  No one has said what time of day, but I suppose it is would be at sunrise, given it was at sunset for the northern hemisphere before it went behind the sun.  It was too hazy with smoke to see anything this morning, I will have a look tonight at sunset.

Dunno how I'll go getting a photo, but I'll give it a try.

Bluenose
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Vita Curator on January 12, 2007, 01:01:28 AM
I didn't see it Opsa either, we also had cloud cover, look again tomorrow, after that too late for us!   :'(

Alas, too late for my area, too.  Too much morning and evening cloud cover.  The sun burns it off, sometimes, but that's late in the afternoon. *sigh*

I did see some cool pictures of it on Astronomy Pic of the Day
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Bluenose

Still too much smoke over my place to see anything.   :censored:

One of the astronomy sites I looked at yesterday suggested that the comet is going to put on quite a show in the southern hemisphere over the next few weeks, so if this is the case I may get a chance to photograph it.  Lets hope.

Sibling Bluenose

Vita Curator

Thanks Bob, great picture.

Keep trying for us Bluenose, we're countin' on ya buddy!
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Bluenose on January 15, 2007, 08:38:32 PM
Still too much smoke over my place to see anything.   :censored:

One of the astronomy sites I looked at yesterday suggested that the comet is going to put on quite a show in the southern hemisphere over the next few weeks, so if this is the case I may get a chance to photograph it.  Lets hope.

Sibling Bluenose

Yes, we are all countin' on those pics! ;D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Bluenose

Well, if its not smoke, now we've got clouds.  At least I suppose there's a chance of rain...

Vita Curator

Aye, I be shedding quite a few tears that I missed viewing this magnificent comet.  Sniff Sniff,  :'(

Another e-mail came in today hailing it's magnificence:

Last night at sunset, motorists in South Africa pulled over to watch what seemed to be a bush fire.  As the twilight deepened, however, they realized it was something else: the extravagant tail of Comet McNaught. Even experienced astronomers say they've never seen anything quite like it.  McNaught's tail materializes at sunset in the southern hemisphere and is visible to the unaided eye as a majestic fan of pale streamers. 

The comet itself is visible only from the southern hemisphere, but its tail sweeps all the way back into northern skies. People in California, Colorado and Hawaii have seen it peeking above the western horizon about an hour after sunset. This "northern tail" is faint but pretty, and resembles a pale aurora borealis.  (Dark skies are absolutely required.)

Bluenose

I am torn.

We have had about 50mm (2in) of much needed rain in the last few days.  Not enough to break the drought, but we'll take it.  So on one hand I am very happy.

On the other hand I have simply not been able to see the stars at night for over two weeks, what with the clouds and previously the smoke.  I am despondant.

I yearn to see the fire upon the deep.

Sibling Bluenose

Opsa

Check out the sensational photo about mid-page here:
http://www.spaceweather.com/

Looks like there's sunspots, too. I was getting a lot of interference with my satellit TV yesterday. Could that have been caused by sunspots?

Vita Curator

Don't forget, this Saturday, total eclipse of the moon.

TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE:  Set aside some time this weekend for sky watching.  On Saturday night, March 3rd, there's going to be a total eclipse of the Moon.  This means the Moon will glide through the heart of Earth's shadow and turn a beautiful shade of sunset red.  Totality can be seen from parts of all seven continents including all of Europe and Africa and the eastern half of North America. 

Aggie

WWDDD?

Opsa

AWESOME!!!!

I'm going to a party that night with my skywatching friends.

Looks like it'll be at moonrise, 5:22 around here.

Thanks Vita, m'dear!