News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Astronomy Toadfish Nerds Unite!

Started by Opsa, October 17, 2006, 07:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goat starer

i am not sure that any timing during november 'favours western europe' when the purpose is to view the night sky. The timing may favour anone in Western Europe who can get above several miles of fog, thick rain clouds and general squalls but for most of us in England the best we can expect to see is the beautiful orange glow of sodium lights on low cloud.

anyone come up with a good introduction to astronomy book suggestion for me yet?
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Opsa

Skyguide: A Field Guide to the Heavens is a good one:
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Sky-Field-Guide-Heavens/dp/0307136671

Also the Astronomical Calendar is a great way to keep current on what's going on up there:
http://www.universalworkshop.com/pages/AC.htm

Speaking of which, we have the Geminids meteor shower going on tomorrow and the next night. The moon is new, so there's a good chance of spotting some, if your sky is clear enough.

Vita Curator

Thanks Opsa, I was going to post about the Geminids also.

Science at NASA sent this today:     

The 2006 Geminid Meteor Shower

Dec. 12 , 2006: The best meteor shower of the year peaks this week on Dec. 13th and 14th.

"It's the Geminid meteor shower," says Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office in Huntsville, Alabama. "Start watching on Wednesday evening, Dec. 13th, around 9 p.m. local time," he advises. "The display will start small but grow in intensity as the night wears on. By Thursday morning, Dec. 14th, people in dark, rural areas could see one or two meteors every minute."

Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

Opsa

Hi Vita! It was rainy this early morning, but now it's clearing up. I'm jumping up and down and waving my tiny fists and saying "eeeeee!" like a little school girl!

Vita Curator

Hi all.  Although this is not astronomy news, I received an interesting e-mail from Science@NASA re: this upcoming Tuesday's NOVA program, sounds interesting.

NASA Science News for Jan. 4, 2006

Mayan Ruins

For many years, space archeology has been a favorite topic of Science@NASA readers: NASA scientists use Earth-orbiting satellites to find ancient ruins invisible from ground level. Prime real estate for this kind of discovery is Central America. In that part of the world, satellites are not only revealing long-held secrets of the Maya, but also improving the everyday lives of modern Central Americans by helping them monitor and manage their environment.

For an update on this important work, we encourage you to tune in to a new PBS broadcast on Tuesday, Jan. 9th. It features pioneering space archeologist Tom Sever (Marshall Space Flight Center) and colleague Bill Saturno (University of New Hampshire) discussing their latest discoveries.

Channel: Your local PBS station

Program: Nova scienceNow

Date: Tuesday, Jan. 9th at 8 pm EST.

Vita Curator

Also in other Astronomy News:

HOT COMET:  Comet McNaught (C/2006 P1) is plunging toward the Sun. It won't hit, but at closest approach on Jan. 13th it will be much closer to the Sun than the planet Mercury. The comet will experience fierce heating and it could brighten considerably, emerging from the encounter brighter than a 1st magnitude star.

For the next few mornings, northerners can see Comet McNaught before it disappears into the Sun's glare.  It's an easy target for binoculars hanging low in the eastern sky at sunrise. After Jan. 11th, only SOHO (the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory) will be able to track the comet as it angles toward the bright Sun. 

Opsa

Thank you, Vita! I will be watching tomorrow morning with binoculars and tomorrow night on PBS.
:-*

ivor

Cool!  Thanks Vita!

It'd be cool to have an astrological/astonomical calendar on the site.  If anyone would like to fill in events let me know and I will put one up.

Vita Curator

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on January 09, 2007, 12:59:13 AM
Cool!  Thanks Vita!

It'd be cool to have an astrological/astonomical calendar on the site.  If anyone would like to fill in events let me know and I will put one up.

Thanks MB, that would be really nice!   :)

To see Comet McNaught, a clear view of the horizon is essential. In the morning, go outside and face east.  The comet emerges just ahead of the rising sun. In the evening, face the other way--west. The comet pops out of the western twilight as soon as the sun sets.  Binoculars reveal a pretty, gaseous tail.

Have a good day :piratetoadfish:

I like these new additions also!  Thanks Aggie, Bluenose, MB!

Opsa

WEH! I had too many clouds in the low eastern sky this morning, but didn't realize we'd have another chance for a peek at sunset tonight. Might we see it tomorrow morning, too?

MB- I'm expecting my 2007 Astronomical Calendar in the mail any day now and will try to help keep up with oncoming heavenly events. How about a general calendar that we can put all kinds of toadfish-interested events into?  :toadfishwink:

Edit: Just to add to the woo-woo factor here, as i was typing the last line up there, someone knocked at my door. It was the mail lady with my Astronomical Calendar!

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I'm back..

Vita Curator

I know Opsa, me neither, let's try again this evening, here is the e-mail I received today:

Comet McNaught has continued to brighten as it approaches the sun and it is now the brightest comet in 30 years.  For observers in the northern Hemisphere, tonight is probably the best time to see it:  Go outside this evening and face the sunset. A clear view of the western horizon is essential, because the comet hangs very low. As the twilight fades to black, it should become visible to the naked eye.  Observers say it's a fantastic sight through binoculars.

In the days ahead, Comet McNaught will pass the sun and emerge in good position for southern hemisphere viewing later this month.  Meanwhile, solar heating will continue to puff up the comet, causing it to brighten even more.  It could become one of the brightest comets in centuries, visible even in daylit skies.

ivor

The event calendar is installed.  Any registered user can add an event.  Let an admin know if there is a need for another category.

MB

Opsa

Wicked awesome, MB! I'll go mess around with it.

Vita,

Yesterday we had cloud cover in the PM. Ackkk! Might we be able to see it again this evening at sunset, or is it too much against the sun now?

Vita Curator

I didn't see it Opsa either, we also had cloud cover, look again tomorrow, after that too late for us!   :'(