News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Black humour, absurdities and other things that amuses

Started by Darlica, September 30, 2008, 12:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darlica

We have a number of avid Pratchett and Adams readers here but what other authors and books do you read to bring a smile on your face or a laugh for that matter?

I'll start with recommending two books by Ian Banks,The Crow Road and Whit.

(I'll be back with more about these books later but I have to run now...)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Sibling Chatty

There are some OK funny SciFi/Fantasy books by Robert Aspirin.

The MythAdventures and the Phule series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Asprin

He died recently, in bed, reading a Terry Pratchett book. Not a bad way to go.
This sig area under construction.

Black Bart

I can highly recommend the 'Flashman' books by George MacDonald Fraser who sadly died earlier this year.   They are extremely irreverent and funny and manage to be exciting at the same time.
She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Butcher Bird by Richard K, if you like fantasy. Bit cheesy, but still excellent.
Quote"Everything we do or try is corrupt? What are we supposed to do with our lives?"
"According to a number of prophets," said Non, "our true calling is a lifetime of worship and nothing more."
"Praise the lord and pass the ammunition," said Spyder.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

pieces o nine

I rather liked Sharon Shinn's Samaria  books. An imaginhative and entertaining take on on the beginnings -- and progression -- of one of the world's seminal cultures and religions.

Quote"I think our god needs something from us, and does not know how to tell us what that is," she interrupted gently.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Aggie

Stepping back in my reading life, Roald Dahl is the king of absurd, black humour - and for children, yet. Wonderful stuff - but I don't believe this is news to anyone here.

The Alice books are always good for a laugh; I try to reread them every few years.
WWDDD?

beagle

Quote from: Agujjim on October 07, 2008, 07:29:13 AM
Stepping back in my reading life, Roald Dahl is the king of absurd, black humour - and for children, yet. Wonderful stuff - but I don't believe this is news to anyone here.

I missed the children's books, but quite liked "My Uncle Oswald" (the one they don't tell the children about).

On the mordant/dry/black humor front I still like "I Claudius" and "Claudius the God", but it is a very subtle subtext to the main story.
The angels have the phone box

Darlica

Quote from: Agujjim on October 07, 2008, 07:29:13 AM

The Alice books are always good for a laugh; I try to reread them every few years.

After reading Tim Powers books Alice will newer be the same though... :o ;D
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous