News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

pieces' pieces

Started by pieces o nine, August 24, 2008, 08:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

I see Bad Art   -- Bad Art!  Down boy! -   on a daily basis here and am loathe to add to it. Additionally, I am back in a part of the country which is not tres tres receptive to what appeals to me: if it aint got guns, cowboys, huntin, fetchingly abandoned farmhouses, military worship, pitchers of Jesus, or varying-skill approximations of 'Indian' art, it aint art.

Here's a Green Man I did for an artist friend. I usually destroy my personal work upon completing it in a fit of pique, but this one survived the night and lived to be mailed off...  ;)
The photo truly does not do it justice -- I modeled the figure to be as close to perfect as my skill allows, then applied the foliage for the second firing. (It looks kind of deformed in the photo.) It has occurred to me that I could adapt this type of piece to the local flora and/or fauna, thereby appealing to the locals without feeling that I have abandoned my own taste or am encroaching on someone elses culture.

I have a three-day weekend -- quite unusual, as it's a one-day weekend for three-to-four weeks each month on a normal basis. Today I slept a lot, watched movies, and ate blue corn chips. Tomorrow and Monday I resolve to COMMIT ART!

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

It's a wonderful piece, Pieces.  Wish I could do that.  BTW Mrs H will be posting a photo of a church green man when she joins the Monastery, probably today.

Aggie

Lovely, Pieces!

Might want to leave off the horns, if you plan to do a local version.  ;)  Your part of the country sounds like my part of the country.

EDIT:  Holey Carp - love that Reliquary!
WWDDD?

pieces o nine

Thank you, Aggie.    :)

Here is my 2011 Valentine wallpaper.

I miss that herb garden.   :)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

ZOMG! I wasn't aware of your handicraft! Are those fully functional? Do you do them on demand? How much do you charge?
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

pieces o nine

Thank you, Zono! I cannot sing, so I saw.   ;)

I started the temple boxes as intense therapy and as a way to combine all my personal interests into one small, neat package. Each one is inspired by a historic building (or part of one) which catches my fancy. I aim to reinterpret it with contemporary materials or colors while still respecting the flavors of the original culture, and like to include hidden or unexpected compartments when possible. I've done commissions (varies depending on what someone wants) and donated a few to various charity auctions for good karma to offset the bad karma I keep acquiring from swearing at bad drivers.
;D

Currently I am working out the design and construction points for a tholos/henge mashup, another Egyptian-based temple with  --SURPRISE!--  internal multi-reflecting mirrors, and a mini chest of drawers based on the Kukulkan. Of course, when I say "working on" I mean thinking about in a vaguely guilty way while napping on the couch...

pieces o nine

"And now, for something completely different..."

thumbnail view:   

I generally sneer at stock images, downloadable texture maps, and the like, but I saw this beautiful Shiva Dancing while doing some other research and was struck by inspiration. I (laboriously!!!) deleted the background, recolored with filters and textures, and embossed it.

I've seen this particular DW promo photo in several other manipulations, so hope the Beeb won't come knocking on *my* door for what I did with cropping, re-color, filters, et cetera. Fob watch is from a 2-D tech-type image, and sadly, I no longer know where -- or when -- I found that Tardis.

Next venture will be a return to Illustrator, PhotoShop, and mine own fevered brayne...   :idea:

Opsa

Neat! You is one talented artiske.

pieces o nine

pieces o nine

Bone Mother Goddess

Custom-blend of polymer clay with [secret ingredient!] inclusions to roughen/flake the surface  +  aggressive texturizing to simulate the porosity of old bone. I am pleased with the colors, and the weight feels 'right' in the hand -- like bone which has just begun to fossilize.

But enough about me!   ;)

I do welcome constructive criticism, especially from those of you who know what these materials are supposed to look like! What are your suggestions for improving texture or color in future pieces?

Thank you-

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Planning on supply the archaeology black market, huh? ;)

It already looks quite good in the picture, perhaps interring and compact a little to give that fresh-of-the-ground look...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

Love the figure. She's a fabulous shape.

Does she need a little sheen or something? Some waxing or polishing in places?

Griffin NoName

Like them just as they are.

My anti-virus blocks deviant art.  :-\
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

I mentioned doing a painting based on a favorite song in another thread. I found an old photo: c1983. I usually didn't like painting, but I was pleased with this one, and happy it wasn't among those lost in the Great Flood at mom's. (The waterfall behind the figure is more vibrant in the original.) At the time I lived in a luscious jungle of houseplants, kept an aquarium and birds, and lurking cats, all of which were useful models! I will add that this was not an homage to Sigmund Freud!   ;)  The figure was from a life drawing class; the snake from a dreamed jewelry piece, and its pose is how I write my initial.

Here's a technical illustration.

Roland Deschain

Quote from: pieces o nine on May 30, 2011, 05:29:18 AM
What are your suggestions for improving texture or colour in future pieces?
Visit a tanning salon? ;D

It's a lovely piece just the way it is. To me it's more reminiscent of porous rock, but then that's almost what "about to fossilise" bone looks like. I'd say it's around 20,000+ years old. ;)
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers