News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Teapots

Started by Griffin NoName, March 08, 2008, 05:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Simon Hoggart today

Quote from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/mar/08/1
While we're on religion, I'm almost certain it was Bertrand Russell (readers might correct me) who compared faith in God to believing that there was a teapot orbiting the sun. You might declare over and over that you knew, with total inner certainty, that the teapot was there. But you would need something more to convince anyone else.

And now, it turns out that a sharia court in Malaysia jailed a woman for two years for belonging to a cult that worships a teapot. It seems pretty harmless to me: the teapot in question is around 20 feet high, and symbolises the outpouring of goodness, but she's off to jail anyway. I think that Russell would have felt it confirmed a lot of what he felt about religion.

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

Quote from: Griffin NoName
Simon Hoggart today

Quote from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/mar/08/1

And now, it turns out that a sharia court in Malaysia jailed a woman for two years for belonging to a cult that worships a teapot. It seems pretty harmless to me: the teapot in question is around 20 feet high, and symbolises the outpouring of goodness, but she's off to jail anyway. I think that Russell would have felt it confirmed a lot of what he felt about religion.[/size]
:(

The problem with teapots is that some of them accommodate more than one cup at a time.
Can't have that. 

(No doubt 'Nataraja' would *really* get her in trouble with a Sharia court.)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Aphos

Griffin...

From what I read, the woman was not jailed for worshiping the teapot, but rather because she had converted from Islam to teapot worship.  It is against Sharia law to convert away from Islam.

Malaysia has a constitutional problem...they state in their constitution that they have religious freedom, while at the same time stating they support Sharia law.  Talk about a conflict.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Ahh, the good old Celestial teapot!

Poor woman. And screwy Malaysia.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Aggie

Quote from: Aphos on March 09, 2008, 04:17:24 AMMalaysia has a constitutional problem...they state in their constitution that they have religious freedom, while at the same time stating they support Sharia law.  Talk about a conflict.

Ayuh, you can believe what you like...  as long as you didn't start Muslim and end up believing something else.  Religious freedom is more or less necessary with the huge ethnic mix in Kuala Lumpur, less so in the rest of the country which is primarily Muslim.
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Aphos on March 09, 2008, 04:17:24 AM
Griffin...

From what I read, the woman was not jailed for worshiping the teapot, but rather because she had converted from Islam to teapot worship.  It is against Sharia law to convert away from Islam.

To be fair to Hoggart, he didn't claim she worshipped the teapot, only that she belonged to the cult ;) ;)

Is it possible to belong to a cult without worshipping the object of the cult, I wonder?

I guess his error was saying she belonged, rather than joined.......

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Chatty

<<Is it possible to belong to a cult without worshipping the object of the cult, I wonder?>>

I'm thinkin' there are some here that might feel that way about the FSM thing. :)
This sig area under construction.