News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

I'm here now. Use this to tell everyone you are here!

Started by The Meromorph, September 21, 2006, 08:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Well-Come, S_C, Well-Come indeed.

Have a look around.  Kick your shoes off, if you like.

Anything you can see, you'd be more than welcome to visit and comment on.

We don't stand on ceremony much (in fact, we often don't stand on anything at all... ::) )

There's the regular Toadfish rooms, and over there, through that door, are a bunch of pirates.

Their bark is usually worse than their bite (but watch out for fish-head stew.  For that matter, watch out for fish-head stew's vapors.  In fact, it's best just to avoid going near any brewing of fish-head stew alltogether... )

Here's a candle to light your steps, when you're exploring the darker halls :tlite:

Well Come!
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Greetings silent_contemplation. I will read all your posts without speaking them out loud.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

silent_contemplation

Quote from: Quasimodo (The Meromorph) on December 21, 2006, 04:57:55 PM
Welcome!
Can we call you 'Hush!', for short?  :D

Make yourself at home.

Thanks to all. You know, you're the second one today to mention shortening my name to 'Hush'. I've been using this screenname for years and no one has ever thought of that. How quaint.

goat starer

I won't be shoryening silent_contemplation to hush. It sounds like an instruction rather than a meditation and I quite like your name as it is! Seems very appropriate to a message board where the only noise is the busy clacking of keyboards and the interspersed click of the mouse.
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

The Meromorph

I hope you know I intended no disrespect, silent_contemplation. If not, then let this be an assurance so. Do you have a preferred 'short form'? While your screen name is both delightful and appropriate, it's inevitably going to get shortened from time to time, and it would be good if we could follow your own preference in that. :)
Dances with Motorcycles.

silent_contemplation

Oh no, I understand you meant no disrespect, Quasimodo. I've never thought of a shortened name for myself, seeing as I'm generally more of a lurker than an interacter. However, earlier in this topic someone referred to me as Si, feel free to use that name.

The Meromorph

Thank you for your courtesy, Si. :D
We will welcome you participation whenever you choose.
Dances with Motorcycles.

goat starer

what do I know anyway. i cant even spell shortynei... shornytin... making less long!

;D

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

silent_contemplation

I do have one question though. In each post, at the top right it says, "Warm and Fuzzies *insert random number*". What exactly is that? I'm sure there's some link right in front of me explaining this, but I always miss those really apparent things.  ::)

goat starer

Toadfish who have been around a bit (in a nice way  :o) and aquired full toadfish status get to hug or hiss people for their behaviour on the boards (or just to make people happy) The warm and fuzzies rating is taken into account when applying for toadfish status. You seem to be doing quite well of the warm and fuzzy stakes (being positive rather than negative must be a good sign)!

;D

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

ivor

Quote from: silent_contemplation on December 23, 2006, 06:03:02 AM
I do have one question though. In each post, at the top right it says, "Warm and Fuzzies *insert random number*". What exactly is that? I'm sure there's some link right in front of me explaining this, but I always miss those really apparent things.  ::)

Hi,

Welcome.  Hope you are enjoying the Monastery.  I have been working on the place pretty hard as of late.  I am always looking for ways to make things better.

The *insert random number* thing has peaked my interest.  Does anybody know what that means?  I have never seen that before.

Could you possibly send me a screen shot so I can see what you are talking about?

Thanks,
MB

Opsa

I believe that Si is referring to the number which appears after the words "Warm and Fuzzies" in the upper corner of each post box. It probably looks rather random to someone who has just come in.

Welcome Si, and thank you for posting here first. The monastery will be one year old in January and we are still working on it as we go. Sometimes we experiment with doo-dads and wind up mystifying even ourselves. Please feel free to ask questions and make suggestions. We want this to be a good experience for everyone.

goat starer

Quote from: Opsanus tau on December 23, 2006, 04:30:49 PM
Sometimes we experiment with doo-dads

I wondered where my Doo-Dad had gone! When you have finished experimenting (and if it does not have too many tentacles) please can I have it back.

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

Sibling Chatty

Heh...define 'too many' tentacles.

Over the standard 8 for octopodes?

Si, other places have Karma meters. We're--none of us--sufficiently self-important to think we can affect Karma, so the hugs and hisses are our way of telling people that they're doing well  at existing with the Toadfish virtues. (That's my concept and i'm stickin' to it.)
This sig area under construction.

Griffin NoName

But it's Xmas and we are all hissing at the evil character in the pantomime over here in England. That may be affecting things. Specially evil pirates.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand