News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you watching?

Started by Griffin NoName, September 11, 2007, 10:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagle

Did you ever watch/read "Paradise Postponed". That was good, as I recall. Sort of like an English Heimat (but over just the post war period).

The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

I think I read the novel. I didn't watch much TV in 1986.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Waiting for the second box of The Future is Wild (the animated series) to be published in Region 2, I downloaded the second batch of episodes from the tubes. I repeat: those squibbons are CUTE.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on January 19, 2009, 09:18:58 PM
I think I read the novel. I didn't watch much TV in 1986.

I must try a TV free year sometime.  Have you watched Demons 4 yet? Are you going to watch "Being Human" on BBC3 Sunday?

Swatopluk

NVA (GDR military) short films (navy branch)

beagle

Recording of "Victorian Farm". Instead of running a farm in the manner of the 1600s like they did in "Tales of the Green Valley", they're now in the 1800s.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Quote from: beagle on January 25, 2009, 07:12:10 PM
Recording of "Victorian Farm". Instead of running a farm in the manner of the 1600s like they did in "Tales of the Green Valley", they're now in the 1800s.

Such "social experiments" seem to be a TV fashion these years (I hear there was Stone Ages, Middle Ages and 19th century rural on German TV + emigration to the US on tallships). At least a wee bit more original than the last* Big Brother reeincarnation/variation (now with even more "eeeek").

*make that 'latest'. it's unlikely to be the last

beagle

These two series are about a million miles from "reality" TV.  The presenters have more archaeological experience and qualifications than you can shake a stick at, and actually get on with each other (barring the occasional sarcy comment when one falls over in the pigsty or similar).

Each program they show you what tasks would be done on the farm at that time of year, what tools and techniques were used, and what external experts would have to be brought in for the high technology aspects (a blacksmith for gate hinges etc).
After this weeks program I now know exactly how to tell if a Gloucester Old Spot pig sow is pregnant, together with how to deliver well-presented piglets; skills I'm hoping not to have to put into immediate use.

Pachyderm

Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Swatopluk

Pig breeding has become so sophisticated that now fluffers are used to increase the probability of conception (in sows orgasms seem to play a role there  :ROFL:)
---
The Gorgon (1964) (not the one about the rampant dinosaur in London but the one about the snake hair woman)

beagle

Quote from: Swatopluk on January 27, 2009, 09:14:34 AM
Pig breeding has become so sophisticated that now fluffers are used to increase the probability of conception (in sows orgasms seem to play a role there )

I've now developed a strange urge to sneak "Senior Pig Fluffer" somewhere in the employment history on my C.V. and see if anyone mentions it.

Somehow it's nice to think that being my breakfast isn't the high point of a pig's life.

-----------

Rewatching I, Claudius, episode "A God in Colchester".  Lost the DVDs for years but they turned up when I moved some furniture for my regular triennial hoovering exercise.

Swatopluk

That series was my introduction to a number of fine actors (remarkable how many are still around to please us).

beagle

I was quite young when it was first on, but allowed to watch it. Think there were some reservations by the time it got to Caligula and then Messalina's whoring competition.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

This.
[youtube=425,350]2_HXUhShhmY[/youtube]
The best thing to happen to me all day was watching that video.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay