News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vita Curator

LPWB was a m u s e t t e.

Too tired tonight NoName, I'll think of something tomorrow and PM it to you, still no formal names right?  So for now, I'll just be grabbing the..........

Last Post

Still cannot get the picture of the Queen spanking Dick out of my head. ;D
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

Swatopluk

Here the explanation for the clues:

The standardized negative reply of the queen is: The queen is/was not amused (distortedly spoken a-mu-zedt)
Hints towards Cheney because it was a firearm (and connected to the saying of shooting at sparrows with cannons meaning overdoing something)[the Queen is known to not like Cheney]
French lady enjoing herself => amuse plus ending -ette
A musette is also a dance and the name of a few different musical instruments. Their absence would be noted as "a musette" (cf. a capella = without orchestra).
The item being a weapon of war would not be tolerated in an amusement park of Walt Disney.
Drais invented an early form of bicycle (without pedals). His name sounds like that of Dreyse, inventor of the needle gun (the first bolt action rifle) that got into production 1841. Later he proposed a modern form of the  a m u s e t t e  with a lock mechanism similar to the rifle (Zündnadelstandbüchse).

I thought the Cheney hint would be a giveaway towards firearms (esp. together with needle 1841) and the others directly point at "amuse".
There are also some links between Dreyse and the weapon in question to be found.

Last Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Quasi's clue and mine were pointing towards a-muse, the nine muses of Helicon, Helicon being in an area of Greece - Boeotia. Muse, inspiration.

Anyway even if no one understands the clueing I still snatch the

Last Post nee-naa-nee-naaa

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Vita Curator

I'll go ahead and post the first clue, but NN has not placed it in the filter yet, so all of you smart scallywags, no guessing correctly on the first clue, okay?  Wait for the second clue.  :D

Clue #1:  The French and Indian War

Last Post

Swatopluk

Fennimore Cooper?
Any Mohicans in short supply?
Last Post

Vita Curator

Very good, Swato, you are not only warm, but also very hot (or is that H.O.T.?). 

Clue #2:  Uncas and Chingachgook probably did not wear them but Natty Bumppo most likely did.

(As a young girl, when I first read The Last of the Mohicans, I was madly in love with Uncas, thought that Major Duncan Heyward lacked courage and wished that Magua would just let bygones be bygones and get on with his life.  No clue here, just useless information about how weird I truly am. :D )

Last Last of the Mohicans Post

PS:  If you guess the word on this one, I have not received confirmation from NN that she has put it into the word filter yet.

Swatopluk

Probably not the leatherstockings because he did wear them not just "likely". Did he wear a special kind of hat?
H.O.T. doesn't yield useful meanings in this area (I doubt that he shot HOT missiles or drove a hybrid car or watched Korean pop on Home Order TV [to name just a few possibilities]).

Last Hat of Ten (gallons) Post

Vita Curator

Oops, forgot about the leatherstockings!  Let me correct the previous clue and say that Heyward probably wore these.  H.O.T. wasn't a clue Swato; I was just clumsily trying to say that you were on the right track, mea culpa.

Clue #3: Hawkeye

Last  (I love James Fenimore Cooper) Post

Aphos

Having not followed the clues, I will just say...

Last Post
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Griffin NoName

Word is in.

You may all be barking up the wrong tree.

Last meaningless Post

edit.....delay caused by Norton Internet Security taking control of my laptop..... apologies
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Vita Curator

Thank you NoName, sorry to hear of the laptop woes.

Last (love-hate relationship with computers and laptops) Post.

Swatopluk

Quite some time since I last Cooper-ed.
Will neeed some thought before I come up with more (they probably did not wear a stetson in those days but all od them leather breeches. What could the major have? It was pre-revolver time... a telescope or spyglass maybe?
Last deliberating Post

Vita Curator

French name for Natty Bumppo, aka Hawkeye, aka .............

Last Post

Black Bart

Fish Net Stockings...better on a wench than a mohican!

Last (feverish) post
She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

Swatopluk

You mean the knife/bayonet of the professional hunter, aka deerslayer (German: Hirschfänger)?
Last yataganic Post

Obviously not.
mirette de faucon or yeux de faucon would be the French word for hawkeye
Can't find a french nickname. The Hurons also called him the long rifle.
Was the bowie knife already used at the time?