News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The history of Hell

Started by beagle, December 21, 2006, 08:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gloria The Camel

ha...Well I was a little off...

Griffin NoName

Temperature may be a concept merely invented by humans in order to better define heaven and hell. When was temperature first conceived?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

For years, I had a serious problem with the whole basic concept of "hell".

How could a good Creator even conceive of such a place?

I found it impossible to reconcile a Good Creator and Eternal Torture Pit.

Then, I read a book, "Inferno" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.  It was an interesting read, but the main points I got from it were two.

1. Hell is simply the last attempt of the Creator to get the Attention of the Damned.  People ended up in Hell, because they believed they deserved to.  Not because they were Judged and sent there.  Hell was the place for people who could not permit themselves to dwell in Heaven, through Guilt. (notice anything missing?)

2. Hell was not inescapably forever.  In fact, the "job" of one of the main characters was to guide people out of Hell--once they became aware of condition 1, and sought escape.

It is well worth reading, I think.  It's a pretty deep book--and pretty graphic.  Not for the faint-livered.

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on January 21, 2007, 01:47:11 AM
Temperature may be a concept merely invented by humans in order to better define heaven and hell. When was temperature first conceived?

I think in the scientific sense that honour belongs to Cavendish.
Before that it was mainly complaints about how* hot/cold it was.

*quality not quantity
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.