News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

DVD recorder disaster

Started by Griffin NoName, November 08, 2011, 01:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

I'm totally dependent on my DVD recorder for recording TV which I can watch at odd times when bored out of my mind. I got an insurance renewal (repairs/replacement) two months ago and didn't take it up as seemed non-essential in my straightened circumstances, and now the machine is bust, I wish I had taken the insurance. This is a sorry state of affairs.

All functions on the recorder are working fine, except no picture. ie. that is, no picture on the TV. The aerial signal is ok and the sound is fine, can hear the programs etc. but can't view them (same for DVDs). I can even play a recording and hear it but not see it. It's not much good without a picture!

I have to take it "return to store" - that's the official phrase - for them to assess. Total pain. It will cost; also if I'd taken the insurance I'd have got a call out instead of having to go to the store.

Maybe this should be in the Rant thread!

luckily I have another recorder I can use for the time being, but that's small comfort as I normally record on both machines - up to three programs at a time, although perhaps I should be more grateful
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Griffin NoName

:update:

I just went to disassemble the recorder, to take it to the store tomorrow, and taking the scart out of the TV it sort of came away in my hand. I thought, that's odd, so plugged it in again and turned on the recorder and voila - picture!!!  There's nothing wrong !!! Relief!!!

<rant>
A week being miserable with no picture and loads of recordings I thought might be lost for ever.

All over a loose connection.

Yes, I know it is always the most obvious problem. I had checked that scart connection on the TV three times, wiggling it, and pushing it in. Obviously. But to no effect.

So this is a rant about scarts. The connectors are so badly designed they never fit securely. They should have locks or screws like the old printer cables because the seem designed to work themselves loose. It was only by taking it right out and putting it in again that it showed up it wasn't in properly.

I suppose I've learned my lesson.

Don't just "check" the connections, take them all out and start agiain.

<end rant>

I can now watch the last final ever episode of my favourite TV series.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

I'm pleased it's working now.  I must say, reading the first post, I was going to advise you to check the Scart.  They are an abomination.

My new HDD recorder has only one scart socket and my TV has no audio output.  This means I have to make the connection to my stereo via a scart adaptor with audio sockets, and I have to move a switch on the adaptor to change the audio feed from TV to HDD.  Therefore I get disconnection problems all the time.

The scart cables are so stiff and heavy that the connectors often won't stay in place even if you don't touch them.  :headbang:

Aggie

What's a scart?  ???

On the plus side, it's a good thing you didn't take the insurance.  Imagine how silly you'd feel calling out a tech for a loose cable.  :mrgreen:
WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

Scart connectors  are the way we Europeans connect TVs with recorders and so on.  It is a French invention, and therefore useless and more trouble than it's worth.  The pins are very short and so offer no mechanical security; the leads are usually stiff and heavy.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Forgive me but that looks far more heavy duty than newer connectors like HDMI or DisplayPort. It certainly would be better if it had the screws on the sides like VGA or DVI ports, though.
Quote from: Sibling DavidH on November 08, 2011, 12:48:14 PM
It is a French invention, and therefore useless and more trouble than it's worth.
I still find quite amusing the Anglo-Saxon sport of hating the French, pity we have none of them on board to listen to their hate for the Anglo-Saxons... ;) :P :mrgreen:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Sibling DavidH

QuoteForgive me but that looks far more heavy duty than newer connectors like HDMI or DisplayPort. It certainly would be better if it had the screws on the sides like VGA or DVI ports, though.

It's just about OK when it's simply plug to socket, but as soon as you have to add an adaptor - as I do - then it really needs screws or those wire clips they used to have on printer plugs.
Quant aux Français, je les déteste, comme un bon patriote.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

JE Pournelle's old Byte magazine column (now defunct as far as I can tell) used to say the first 3 rules of electronics:

1) cable
2) cable
3) cable!

:D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)