News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Internet Membership Racket

Started by Griffin NoName, July 15, 2011, 04:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

I buy almost exclusively over the internet, therefore I have accounts with many many internet shops. Often it will be a single purchase from a shop I know I will never have recourse to again. Naturally I have a different password for each one (so best practice security dictates).

Why is there no Cancel My Account with any internet shops? I am sick of receiving endless emails I have no interest in, and keeping all the many passwords involved - is it a conspiracy?

The number of shops I return to again and again is quite limited......... eg. amazon........ I don't mind emails from these, although there are too many for my liking.

I want an international Cancel My Account Campaign.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bluenose

Hmm.  I subscribe to a lot of these too - in Aus, the UK, the US and various places in Asia.  They all have a "remove my subscription" link in their email. I have found that this usually works.  For those that do not have this I go to my ISP webmail console and mark the sender's email address as spam.  That way I never get them even if they send them out.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I know you hate complication but what I do is use my spam account (in this case my yahoo account) for shopping, that way all those land in a place quite removed from my daily business (which is on gmail). It has been working well so far.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

I do that too, Zone. But the stuff really piles up in there!

Griffin NoName

Yes, I do the same Zono, but amongst the emails to that account are ones from genuine purchases so it still needs looking at.

Bluenose, I do filter out some, but somehow it's not enough. I'm not sure if unsibscribe from emails actually closes the account?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

In certain cases it does, in certain it only confirms that you exist and you get more spam...  :censored: :explode:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bluenose

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on July 16, 2011, 05:37:49 PM
In certain cases it does, in certain it only confirms that you exist and you get more spam...  :censored: :explode:

That's true, I suppose I should have added that I only use the unsubscribe option from places I have actually dealt with, which is what I thought Griff was talking about.  Unsolicited emails get deleted, but most of them get picked up by either my ISP's spam filter or if they make it through to my machine by Norton 360.  Considering that my email address receives up to 1,000 spam email a day, the dozen or so that make it through don't worry me too much.  BTW, the reason I get so many is that my email address is on the web site that I manage for an association I'm a member of.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bluenose on July 17, 2011, 09:08:50 AM
Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on July 16, 2011, 05:37:49 PM

That's true, I suppose I should have added that I only use the unsubscribe option from places I have actually dealt with, which is what I thought Griff was talking about. 

Yes I was. I never never ever unsubscribe from unsolicited mail. Have never. Will never.

Quote from: Bluenose on July 17, 2011, 09:08:50 AMUnsolicited emails get deleted, but most of them get picked up by either my ISP's spam filter or if they make it through to my machine by Norton 360.  Considering that my email address receives up to 1,000 spam email a day, the dozen or so that make it through don't worry me too much.  BTW, the reason I get so many is that my email address is on the web site that I manage for an association I'm a member of.

Yes, that's a pain. If you advertise yourself, you get mailed!! 

Googlemail seems particularly good at filtering junk, but then it seems particularly good at generating it's arrival somehow too  :'(

I need a completely new FREE email address for real mail but am unhappy with all the hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc ones. I suppose that may be because they are FREE of course.
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

I still get very little spam (close to nothing). All hail obscurity for it delivers us from spam!
My old university email got a lot after they changed something in the system but it came mostly as a daily list from the server informing me that it considered the contents as spam and that they would send the individual entries only on explicit demand. The alumni address has received one of these list only once.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Roland Deschain

I get spam in seemingly random cycles. One week i'm getting a lot, then next i'm getting nothing for ages. Some spam I don't mind, as it can be amusing, such as the Nigerian lottery/inheritance ones, which i've replied to in quite evil ways before. :o
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Opsa

I have created similar-sounding email for a rascally friend of mine, complete with typo in the subject line (which isn't difficult for me!).

NOTIFICATIONS!!!

AM IMEDIATELY NEEDING OF YOR HELPS!!!

LOTERY WINER!!!

Roland Deschain

Quote from: Opsa on March 19, 2012, 03:41:32 PM
I have created similar-sounding email for a rascally friend of mine, complete with typo in the subject line (which isn't difficult for me!).

NOTIFICATIONS!!!

AM IMEDIATELY NEEDING OF YOR HELPS!!!

LOTERY WINER!!!

Lol. That is truly evil. *makes the sign of the devil* ;D
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers