News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Did you know that...

Started by Swatopluk, July 07, 2010, 09:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Cool.

Did you know the first large computer project was commissioned by the US Navy, in order to calculate large-bore gun firing solutions?    Their first attempt was made using vacuum tubes and mechanical relays.  It's reliability was somewhat questionable, so it was always run at least 3 times, with the majority being considered correct. 

Moreover, it was slower than simply looking up the solution in a book of solution tables-- these books were created by large groups of mathematicians using traditional methods (slide rules, pencil and paper).  Since most of the men were otherwise occupied, most of the mathematicians were women.

In spite of that, the Navy continued to pour money into the calculating machine project, and eventually, the modern computer came from it's fundamental work.  One of the more notable personalities was Grace Hopper, a woman in a mostly all-male field.   She remained involved in computer development over most of her illustrious career.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

Ever heard of Ada Byron who wrote the code for the humungous proto computers of Chalres Babbage?
And female calculators were a standard even before that. How do you think astronomers acquired wifes otherwise  ;) (not a joke actually, there are numerous examples of that)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

It's usually females that have crystal balls. :)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

and buoys have glass balls (according to Agnes Nitt from Discworld)

Swatopluk

Did you know that non-human animals also know the concept of prostitution?
Capuchin monkeys even learned to use currency in these transactions (coins that can be used to 'buy' food from the researchers)
http://www.zmescience.com/research/how-scientists-tught-monkeys-the-concept-of-money-not-long-after-the-first-prostitute-monkey-appeared/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_among_animals

pieces o nine

How long before she held out for the worth of two  grapes?      ;)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The book on animal intelligence I'm reading mentioned it in passing although I wasn't aware of the penguins doing it as well.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Well, penguins have been long known for being depraved (including openly gay specimens)

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Opsa

Plus, they have to find some way to stand out in that crowd.

pieces o nine

Griffin NoName

The last Monday in January is Bubble Wrap Awareness Day.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Did you know that Paul Cambon, the French ambassador in London from 1898 to 1920, refused to learn or speak a single word of English and insisted on the translation of even simple words like 'yes'?
Btw, British foreign secretary (1905-1916) Sir Edward Grey was one of the few top politicians/diplomats of the time not speaking any French.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Did you know there was an emperor who became known as Heinrich der Klammersiebte (Henry the Seventh in Parentheses)?
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_der_Klammersiebte