News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Atheist Billboard Vandalized

Started by Opsa, June 29, 2010, 09:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Quote from: pieces o nine on October 22, 2010, 05:38:07 AM
Quote from: Griffin NoNameEven if it is built in, isn't the more interesting question - why do many religious people need to have everyone else believe what they believe? 

........... Conversely those who present as 'very strong' or 'committed' in their respective beliefs are the most likely to become agitated or belligerent when confronted with differing beliefs in others.

............... those in the second group may not, in fact, have the courage of their convictions. Encountering strong differing beliefs -- or, even worse -- differing beliefs with casual disinterest in 'debating' the respective merits of either, strikes an emotional achilles' heel.

............It's sad.

Yes, I think it is a case of they who protest too much are inseccure in their belief. And yes, it is sad.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: AggieI defend your right to have this opinion, BUT I feel the need to say that IMHO it's intolerant, untaddy and contrary to the whole purpose of the Toadfish Monastery.

Aggie, I'm really sorry to have upset you to that extent.  I know I go into aggressive rant mode when religion comes up, and I should learn to be humbler.  I'll make sure I keep it under control in future.

Aggie

Don't worry Sibling, you haven't upset me. :)

I figured I was obligated to point it out (I'd be slacking on my Toadfish duties otherwise), but I was concerned you might take it as too much of a rebuke.  You phrased your opinion honestly and appropriately, and I respect that.  Whether I like the opinion is besides the point. ;)
WWDDD?

Bluenose

Quote from: pieces o nine on October 22, 2010, 05:38:07 AM
Quote from: Griffin NoNameEven if it is built in, isn't the more interesting question - why do many religious people need to have everyone else believe what they believe? 

I've often wondered about this myself. In my personal, non-scientific observations, people who present as the most content with -- and the most relaxed about -- their respective religious beliefs tend to be least upset when others do not share those beliefs. Conversely those who present as 'very strong' or 'committed' in their respective beliefs are the most likely to become agitated or belligerent when confronted with differing beliefs in others.

My conclusion is that the first group has the best grasp on the differences between 'belief' and 'fact'; thus, even if 'committed' to their present path, they would have relatively little distress about course corrections when and if met with greater information or differing evidence.

On the other hand, those in the second group may not, in fact, have the courage of their convictions. Encountering strong differing beliefs -- or, even worse -- differing beliefs with casual disinterest in 'debating' the respective merits of either, strikes an emotional achilles' heel. It is intolerable for them to accept that another person is resisting a system which depends heavily on terrible threats to enforce conformity. The 'committed believer' has much in common, I think, with those in other repressed groups who turn viciously on any in their ranks who do not embrace -- or, when possible, ignore -- artificial limitations.

If one person thinks, speaks, or acts for him/herself, it strains the assumption that others in that group cannot -- let alone should not -- do the same. It presents a new burden to either show the same courage for dissension, or to increase the energy put towards publicly toeing the party line. In human-governed groups, there is a strong, historically proven possibility of punishment being meted out on the entire group to discourage dissension. 'Committed believers' cannot conceive  [<-- ha!]  of a deity who does not react like themselves, and in the mix of all their other reactions is anger and fear that god will punish *them* for not converting  -- or silencing -- the unbeliever.

It's sad.

I think you hit on an important and true point here, but alas as I was reading it, all I could think of was "the only people we hate more than the Romans are the F**king Judean People's Front".  Yet again Monty Python strikes when I least expect it...  
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

pieces o nine

Quote from: Bluenose on October 22, 2010, 01:45:37 PM...
all I could think of was "the only people we hate more than the Romans are the F**king Judean People's Front".  Yet again Monty Python strikes when I least expect it...  

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677