News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Climate change

Started by goat starer, October 30, 2006, 12:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on January 26, 2007, 02:39:44 AM
The Thames - Big freeze of 1963 - not since then I think.

One of the few vivid memories I have as a child in the UK before we migrated to Aus, is of standing on the Thames during the '63 freeze and looking at all the barges that had been frozen in unexpectedly.  My father would not let me walk out to the middle of the river where there were some people having a bonfire on the ice, much to my regret at the time and I have never forgiven him.  ;)

Sibling Bluenose
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Swatopluk

There were a few occasions when the whole Baltic Sea froze over (the top layers are more or less fresh water). Don't know when this happened last.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

New Thames barrier could be built. At last a glimmer of hope London might not be submerged without my having to write to my MP about it. ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

It will also serve to keep some water in in sommer, I guess

Griffin NoName

QuoteIt will also serve to keep some water in in sommer, I guess

Actually, I still have misgivings. The barrier(s) are downstream and prevent tidal influx overwhelming London. However the flooding this year was working it's way downstream from the source, swept through Oxfordshire and Berkshire and got as far as the stretch before mine. "They" don't seem to have noticed that rivers are duo-directional and letting more water out might be needed too ;D
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Scriblerus the Philosophe

"They" never seem to notice simple things like that until it hits them in the face.

We had a freeze here this last winter. I live in a Mediterranean climate, and normally, we might get a little bit of frost, maybe twice a year. We nineteen straight days of hard frost. We normally warm up before April, it's been mid to late April these last two years, which is nice, but not good for the farms.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 26, 2007, 01:27:39 PM
QuoteIt will also serve to keep some water in in sommer, I guess

Actually, I still have misgivings. The barrier(s) are downstream and prevent tidal influx overwhelming London. However the flooding this year was working it's way downstream from the source, swept through Oxfordshire and Berkshire and got as far as the stretch before mine. "They" don't seem to have noticed that rivers are duo-directional and letting more water out might be needed too ;D

Has the Thames be straightened too? Over here that aggravated the problems with e.g. the Rhine or the Oder.

Griffin NoName

If it has been straightened, it wasn't very successful ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

Alpaca

Pfft. Thames. Doesn't compare to the mighty surges of the raging Hillsborough!

Oh, wait. Our river is pathetic.
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

Sibling Chatty

We just have The Arms of God River...

El Brazos de Dios, aka the Brazos River. Which feeds the lake. This one, that's MUCH bigger than the town.

http://www.texassportfishing.com/Region_2/Lake_Somerville.htm
This sig area under construction.