News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Firewalls - gah!!!

Started by pieces o nine, June 25, 2010, 01:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I'm going to post this next bit of advice in a separate post, to make it clearer.

If neither Blue's method, nor my flash-scan method works?   There is still another road to take:  Linux.

For this, you'll need access to the Net-- the mac is fine for that, access to a CD burner, a blank write-once CD and some serious patience.  (Linux can be picky). 

I can go find some details if you need this method-- post and either I or someone will help you.

But the short process is this:  you find a copy of a stand-alone Linux distro, that has built-in an anti-virial software-- these exist all over the place.  You download the ISO file and burn a bootable CD image of it--making sure you use the image-burn option, and that you close the CD from further writing.

Then, you boot your PC from the uncorruptable CD, and let Linux start up, then attach your corrupted drive, and let the anti-virus software do it's thing.   

It ought to be noted that there are actually auto-boot-auto-run anti-virus ISO images running on Linux out there, that will more or less do all of these steps automagically:  boot to Linux, mount all your physical hard drives and start scanning/repairing them.   All you need to do is locate the ISO image, burn it to a CD and the rest is pretty much falling-forward simple.

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Darlica

Quote from: pieces o nine on December 15, 2010, 12:55:10 AM
Right.

So I've been working with stop-gap measures until this pay period to get the all-bells-&-whistles Kaspersky.  I didn't quite make it; in fact, this is being typed on the auxiliary mac as I am very close to kicking my damn PC to death just on principal.

I was on earlier today & just running my "clear" procedure before shutdown when I heard a small "click" -- I know that sound; it's another trojan dropper after all this time.

I can't get malwarebytes to execute due to a small forest of "filename or type is infected" prompts trying to load some IE-based security software/slash/prawn sites. It took for-freaking-ever to get Mozilla to load a usable window to re-download Malwarebytes, but no go.

I went out for a Trend Micro max security package (packaging mentions Cloud technology) as Kaspersky is out for many days & I am clearly not going to attempt to order it online, but the autorun will not launch it (it's infected) and I can't get either of the apps to launch directly from the cd, either. I am torn between fury and despair, now exacerbated by sitting 3 inches from the monitor to read the three point type on this Mac...   I used to be able to solve computer problems calmly and without a blink. Now I am starting to feel like an old person who cannot cope with technology changes. grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

Any hints on how to get around this newest hurdle to load the high-end protection software? Otherwise, I have to wait for the next pay period and take the PC back to the Geeks to do this for me.   >:(   ???   :P

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, sibs-

-pieces o frenzied irritation

I strongly advice against Trend Micro.

It runs so many processes that you might be better of with a virus infested hard drive.
If you can return it do so.

I bought it some time ago when I got my Asus netbook and it works fine on that one.
However when my Nod32 licence run out I installed it on my laptop (older but otherwise well functioning for web use) as I go 3 licences in one go from TM.  That nearly killed my laptop.

TM had 9 different processes running sucking processor power to no end doing an ridiculous amount of I/O writings per second (67 000 in 29 minutes!) and making the hard drive fans work on full speed ALL the time, even when the computer went into "rest mode".  
It was impossible to do anything: the start up took 10 minutes, open Thunderbird took 5 minutes and just open Photoshop was unthinkable.  

Right now I'm running Avast (free version) and Zonalarm, which is enough for me as I also sit behind a rather hefty firewall provided by "Comhem" out internet provider.
TM still sits on the net book as I've paid for it for a year and it doesn't make much trouble there, that's also the computer that is most likely to be exposed to threats as I use it on other WiFi connections than our own.
But the day the licence run out it's gone!

I've used Eset Nod32 anti-virus in combination with Zonalarm for 7 or 8 years I've had a few attacks but they've been dealt with without much trouble. There are better firewalls then Zonalarm I'm sure (the one built in in the new ESET package is probably ace but I haven't tried it) however, Nod32 is a smooth and comparatively "small" anti-virus. Never had any trouble with it interfering with other programs and I can really recommend it.
http://www.eset.com/

:)

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

The Meromorph

You can get a months free trial of Kaspersky, to use while you're saving up...
At the very least it would clean your machine...
Dances with Motorcycles.

ivor

Wow! That's a lot of money!  Or I'm a cheap bastard.  Or maybe both!   Yeah, that's it...

Anybody used any of the open source security software out there? 

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

There is ClamWin but I haven't used it and it does not have a real time scanner.
---
Pieces, is it impractical for you to reinstall windows? At certain levels of infection it becomes a far quicker and safer way to go.

OTOH, you may want to use HijackThis and post the log for things to remove.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Although I'm not a big fan of Windoze.... ever since Micro$oft introduced Micro$oft $ecurity E$$entials?  I freely admit that's all I've been running, aside from the hardware firewall/switch (Cisco) that I've been using since 2000 or so (well, not this one--but some form of external hardware firewall since then--WiFi upgrades don'cha know).

Since installing Micro$oft $ecurity E$$entials, I've had zero attacks, and it has located only a couple of "threats" in an ISO image of a CD that someone gave me-- the CD was one of those "mass quantities" of "free" software (mostly trialware), and I've since deleted it as useless junk.   But MsSE thought it had some threats in it in software I never did get around to looking at, let alone installing.

Short answer:  MsSE seems to work for me, and it's closely integrated into the OS, which in this case, I consider a bonus.

In the past, I've used Avast's free anti-vir, and M$ basic in-built firewalling software.  Going back to my Win2K days?  I used Zone Alarm firewall and usually no anti-virus aside from the free on-line scanning engines (I still use those from time to time).

I've never been infected on my main system drive in all the years-- not once.   The worst is that I spotted a virus on a couple of external drives, including floppies-- but in my paranoia about such things, I nearly always scanned a disc with an on-line scanner, if I had the slightest doubts as to it's safety.   And these external "threats" were wiped before gaining access to the system.

Back in 200, within a month of getting high speed cable internet, I had me an external hardware firewall, and was hiding behind that protection-- my PC's always scored high in Shields Up tests.

Hardware always beats software, I always say...

:)

P.S.  Stay away from McAfee--! seriously.  I consider this product a virus in and of itself-- it's junk.   I have literally spent hours on other people's machines tracking down the last vestiges of this bloated blob of reminder-ware.  It simply refuses to uninstall itself, always leaving behind vast traces of running processes...  I suppose those are craftily designed to pop-up and "remind" you to buy another year of abuse from McAfee... and god help you if you try to quit early!  Or, if you accidentally "renew" too soon, and overlap your licenses.  Their [soon to be not a] customer "service" is even more abusive--if you can get to a live person, that is.

I'm told that Nortons is just as bad, but I've not diddled with that for years.  Peter Norton was an amazing genius-- reclusive in his own way, and came up with these amazing tricks back in the old DOS days.  Made quite a name for himself with these very useful DOS utilities--then (I guess he got bored) he bailed, and sold it all to a group of people who only see their "customers" in the same way that PT Barnum did-- a sucker to be bilked for all the $$ you can get.  But unlike Barnum, Norton's people don't feel obligated to provide even modest entertainment ...  I've been advised to steer clear, and I have.

P.P.S:

On-line scanners are everywhere, and I've used any number of these.  Currently, I have in my arsenal, BitDefender QuickScan-- one of the few that works within FireFox, and doesn't require firing up old leaky Infernal Explorer.  Linky http://quickscan.bitdefender.com/
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

The Meromorph

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on December 16, 2010, 12:23:13 PM
Wow! That's a lot of money!  Or I'm a cheap bastard.  Or maybe both!   Yeah, that's it...

Anybody used any of the open source security software out there?  
$60 and it covers 3 machines... That doesn't seem so expensive to me.
I'm strapped for cash and I don't mind paying $20 per machine for complete protection for my three PCs.
It automatically updates every two hours.
I've used other paid and free software and still got burned by viruses and attacks. And TM slowed all three machines to a crawl...
Po9 seems to have at least two machines...
Dances with Motorcycles.

pieces o nine

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and comments! You are all so helpful and knowledgeable, as always.

IT'S ALIIIIIIIVE!!!

Blue & Bob: I found myself channeling Eddie izzard in his Dr. Heimlich Discovering the Maneuver  bit (let's try THIS! . . .   no; okay then, how about THAT! . . .   no; maybe one of THESE! . . .   and so on in the Safe Mode Roulette, but I eventually found the magic key to happier days.  Then I quick-like downloaded the K-trial (thanks, Mero!), executed, and rebooted to . . .  a repeat of the trial "Install" wizard??? Okay . . . it's installing a carpload of something, so it must be working really hard. And . . . we're rebooting a second time . . . and . . . Hallelujah!

Darlica: I appreciate the input on Trend Micro. I'll do more research but your experience is a warning!

MB: thanks for the saving offer; I'll keep that in mind as insurance against any future horror.

Zono: I *could* reinstall Windows, but live in dread of losing legitimate software which I cannot replace at this time. I somehow lost access to a useful language package with a system reinstall & my registered disk never worked again. I know that isn't supposed to happen, but...  If this is paranoid delusion on my part, please say so.  :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Mero is correct that there are two computers here. One is my beloved/behated XP, which, for all its faults, has done just about everything I want it to and the pc platform gives it some functions & features I didn't have with my macs. Recently a G4  with a current Adobe CS package has migrated here as everyone else in the house updated their macs. I had a dual setup at work like this several years ago and I enjoyed it very much. Although neither machine is the latest and greatest, it's quite a nice luxury to have this access again. In the last few days I've just about gotten my "Command +" and "Control +" shortcuts sorted out in my mind & muscle-memory again...

:typing:     :typing:
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677