News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Not an iPod

Started by Griffin NoName, January 26, 2010, 07:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

There should be a workaround but, eh, it's Apple we're talking about, the risk of using fruity products.
:barf:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 02, 2010, 11:17:09 PM
Having sorted out I was going to use CopyTrans to avoid putting iTunes on my machine, the first instruction that comes with my new  iPod is to download iTunes IN ORDER to SET UP the iPod. The iPod itself is just a dead machine - not even any menus - so I suppose it comes to life when plugged in to iTunes via the laptop USB. So that means I have to install iTunes. At least to set the iPod up.

So what's the point of stuff like winamp and copytrans if one has to install iTunes anyway? I mean, one might prefer them, but they don't remove the need to install iTunes.

Try it first-- I was told the same thing, but I found WinAmp handled the iPod just fine-- and I never installed iPod.   You've nothing in the least to lose, by trying it out first.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

What ?  Do you mean see if CopyTrans will set up the iPod?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

So you charged the bloody thing, turn it on and you can't navigate? Does it say something like 'Please plug in' or something of the sort?  (I'm talking about the device, not the instruction manual).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 03, 2010, 08:27:28 AM
What ?  Do you mean see if CopyTrans will set up the iPod?

See, here's the thing:  it's already "setup" to be a music player.  I strongly suspect that "setup" means "create an iTunes account" which obviously, since you don't have iTunes, you neither want nor need.

As Zono said, charge it up, turn it on, plug it into your PC, and see of CopyTrans can see it as an iPod/iTouch/whatever. 

At the absolute worst, you'll only have to reset the thing-- fairly easy (navigate through the menus until you see "factory reset", and choose that-- it'll erase everything back to the BIOS-- just like out of the box).

You have literally nothing to lose, here.

**IF**, it does not work?  Mos'likely, CopyTrans will not be able to see it's music database-- a required function.  iPods of all flavors store the metadata (MP3 tags) in a single searchable database file.  Otherwise, you'd just copy files onto it like the majority of players out there do now.   

Essentially, what CopyTrans does, is both copy the files to the location the iPod's software expects, and also creates the records on the metadata database file-- one record per song, if I understand it.

However, if the metadata database (say that real fast :) ) is not present?  The question is, can CopyTrans create it? 

In my case?  The database was already there-- so WinAmp was able to load it just fine-- no sucky iTunes.

As I said-- the worst is you'll do a factory reset.   Likely?  Copytrans will just work.  Intermediate?  CopyTrans will throw an error message, "cannot find database" or whatever, and you'll have no music loaded.

If, you decide you must hook your 'pod into iTunes?  Try going to a friend's house who already has an iTunes infection.  Better:  go to a CrApple store, ask one of their "geniuses" if you can try you 'pod in their store.  You can even explain, that your PC is setup such that you cannot install iTunes on it-- you don't need to explain more than that, nor do you need to give your reasons why iTunes is forbidden on your PC.

:D

Griffin NoName

Thanks Bob. All very clear.

Unfortunately I forgot to mention one small fact.

Switching the iPod on produces a screen with a battery symbol (showing fully charged) and a huge picture of a USB cable with an arrow pointing upwards at the words "i-tunes".

There are no menus, zip, nil, nothing.

One cannot get past this initial screen..................................

So a factory reset would not be possible :mrgreen:

This is generation 3 remember so presumably this is yet another way of preventing anyone from ditching iTunes.

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Okay. 

In any case---what do you have to lose, by trying CopyTrans first?

Griffin NoName

Probably nothing to lose.

But there are various dire warnings scattered around about damaging the iPod so it has to be sent back...........

Actually if I use CopyTrans it requires some i-Tunes drivers installed. Which I haven't done yet.
Psychic Hotline Host

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 05, 2010, 08:50:07 PM
Probably nothing to lose.

But there are various dire warnings scattered around about damaging the iPod so it has to be sent back...........

Actually if I use CopyTrans it requires some i-Tunes drivers installed. Which I haven't done yet.

I just had a thought.

Do you have an extra 3-4 gig on your hard drive to spare?  You could install a Virtual copy of XP-- yes, you'll need your XP install disc.

Sure it takes a bit of time, but once your virtual XP is up and running, install iTunes bloatware onto that, then setup your iPod. 

Then you can simply delete the virtual PC, including iTunes... and get your 3-4 gig back, too.

I talked about the Virtual PC over on the Linux/Win 7 threads.  I'll post a link (if I can find it) if you want.  The simple virtual PC is free to private citizens like yourself.

Edit:  Link to VMware.

It's expressly designed for what you want:  an isolated "box" to run something you'd rather not install on your main machine.

Installation is tedious (as is all XP installs) but simple.   No special drivers needed-- the PC that VMware simulates is truly plain-vanilla.   Really, really plain-- which means XP's install disc already knows exactly what to do with that simulated hardware from the get-go-- everything's already on XP's install disc.

Just takes time.  And, since you're just wanting to bootstrap your iPod, you don't even need to take the tedious step of SP2, SP3 on your virtual XP machine, either.

Griffin NoName

Interesting idea. Thanks.

At present I am overloaded with non iPod rubbish, real life stuff. Lots of rubbish going on. Goodness knows when I will get time to set up the iPod.

I'll get back to you.
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

:update:

Have everything sorted now (except the extension lead) - just been listening to an album via my iPod Touch docked in the speaker/docking i-station. The album was transfered from tape to PC, labelled etc, then synced to iPod. And it sounds brilliant. So now I have the method sorted for transfering all my other tapes, probably about a hundred. Will take an age. But will be worth it.

I eventually did install iTunes software and it is working fine with no problems (keep fingers crossed) ad I like it.
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

Just for reference, iTunes only gets track names for audio CDs. To get track names for tapes, there's a natty utility called mp3Tag. It works brilliantly. I am now the Queen of transfering ancient tapes to digital iPod. I have the whole procedure down to a fine art ;D
Psychic Hotline Host

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 17, 2010, 03:15:02 PM
Just for reference, iTunes only gets track names for audio CDs. To get track names for tapes, there's a natty utility called mp3Tag. It works brilliantly. I am now the Queen of transfering ancient tapes to digital iPod. I have the whole procedure down to a fine art ;D

I bet you could make a few quid, when you finished with yours, doing other people's.... there's got to be a huge backlog of tapes out there.

:)

Griffin NoName

Yeah but.... it's dull work.
Psychic Hotline Host

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 18, 2010, 01:22:00 AM
Yeah but.... it's dull work.

That's why it's called "work"....  ::) ;D