News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 25, 2006, 05:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriblerus the Philosophe

This.

Frick. If this hits my store, I am SO screwed.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Opsa

I know. Scary.

Borders Books is having a big clearance sale. (Hope they're not going out of business, but you never know.  :( ) Anyway, we went in yesterday and picked up bunches.

I'm reading The Gift of the Sacred Pipe.

Also got a history of Punk rock and Lynda Barry's Cruddy.

Swatopluk

A PhD thesis on cypher machines
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

I'll bet I'd need a cypher machine just to read that PhD thesis on cypher machines.

Not going to hit my store, insofar as I've been told.

A wiki article on the Molly Maguires.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Swatopluk

Quote from: Opsanus tau on February 02, 2009, 08:13:09 PM
I'll bet I'd need a cypher machine just to read that PhD thesis on cypher machines.

Not actually, provided your German is reasonable. It's a PhD in history of science, not mathematics.

Pachyderm

Alas, my German is not reasonable. My fault, I left him out in the rain last night.

Para Handy tales
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Opsa

Back to the ol' Master Gardener's textbook. We're studying turf grasses right now. Thatch, mat, pH, fertilizers, weeds, bugs, water, mowing, seeds, sods. Boooooooorrrrrriiiiinnnggg!!!!  ::) Can't wait until we're done with this subject. P.U.!

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Tell me about it...

The Qu'ran

While many chapters of the bible are structured as a tale with morals, the qu'ran so far seems far more preachy (like a collection of mass sermons*).

* I never understood how that worked marketing wise.  ???
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

A book to improve my English beyond the confines of the normal textbooks (No, it's not Learn to talk like a redneck in 15 easy lessons  ;))

Quote from: Swatopluk on February 14, 2009, 10:19:54 AM
A book to improve my English beyond the confines of the normal textbooks (No, it's not Learn to talk like a redneck in 15 easy lessons  ;))
I can't imagine why you would need that. I think you may speak better English than I do, even on a web-conversational basis.

Currently, the first edition of Intermittens, which is a Discordian web mag. Appeals to my sense of the absurd.

Pachyderm

The conditions attached to my new licence to disturb a bat roost.
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Swatopluk

Quote from: Scriblerus the Philosophe on March 20, 2009, 06:00:45 AM
Quote from: Swatopluk on February 14, 2009, 10:19:54 AM
I can't imagine why you would need that. I think you may speak better English than I do, even on a web-conversational basis.

On the web I can consult a dictionary. In face-to-face communication that is a bit awkward.
That reminds me of an idea Swift presented in the 3rd book of Gulliver's Travels: In order to keep people, esp. women (that old sexist!) from chattering too much, he proposed a law that no noun could be used in conversation without a physical item representing that noun be present  ;).
Also, "book language" is usually a bit behind actual use on the street.

Oooooh, that makes sense, lol.

The One Sentence Meme Bombs thread at principiadiscordia.com.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

This month's Scientific American
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.