News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 25, 2006, 05:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aphos

Well, the fact the fundies are screaming about the movie, and the fact the book has gotten a lot of good reviews, I broke down and started reading "The Golden Compass".  I'm about 1/2 way through.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Griffin NoName

The interpretation of Murder Jed Rubenfeld

Supposed to be outstandingly clever re Freud but no sign of it yet by page 453.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Buda's Wagon - A Brief History of the Car Bomb (by Mike Davis)
Interesting and disturbing
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Chatty

A borrowed copy of the 2004 Federal Budget. Just wanted to see how bad we're getting screwed to pay off the Top Dogs. (Real bad.)
This sig area under construction.

Bruder Cuzzen

I've been reading Pride and Prejudice online but the small letters and glare of the screen is making it difficult to read .

Sibling Chatty

Raise your chair (or sit on a cushion) and lower the screen or tilt it downward.

See if you can find an inexpensive pair of over the counter reading glasses in a +1.0 or less that has an anti-glare coating. Even if you wear spectacles regularly, they'll help magnify AND cut the glare.

Only other suggestion is to put a full sheet magnifier in front of the screen and wear Polarized sunglasses.

(We been in da optical bizness, we has.)

Reading a playscript, "Dancing at Lughnasa".

Aphos

Quote from: Bruder Cuzzen on January 12, 2008, 04:55:12 AM
I've been reading Pride and Prejudice online but the small letters and glare of the screen is making it difficult to read .

You might try changing your screen resolution.  Most video cards can do that pretty easily.

Sibling Chatty

Quote from: Aphos on January 12, 2008, 06:51:17 AM
Quote from: Bruder Cuzzen on January 12, 2008, 04:55:12 AM

You might try changing your screen resolution.  Most video cards can do that pretty easily.

Well, if ya gonna do it da EASY (and sensible) way... :mrgreen:

Sibling Chatty

I am reading Barbara Jordan: American Hero by Mary Beth Rodgers.

It makes me even more aware of  what America lost to the ravages of Multiple Sclerosis, and the devastating effect that illness in one, solitary person may have caused for America, and by extension, the world.

(It also makes me want to go kick Newt Gingrich's entire stupid ass. Hard, and with steel toed boots. And malicious intent.)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on January 14, 2008, 06:40:59 PM
It makes me even more aware of  what America lost to the ravages of Multiple Sclerosis, and the devastating effect that illness in one, solitary person may have caused for America, and by extension, the world.

For me that has always been Jacqueline du Pre. It was unbearable losing those wonderful glorious sounds when she fell quiet.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aphos

Started reading "The Subtle Knife", Book 2 of His Dark Materials, yesterday.  The library finally got it back.

Swatopluk

Latein - Kleine Geschichte einer großen Sprache (Latin - A little history of a great language)

Sibling Chatty

A 113 page monograph on the speculative use of Som230 LAR (long acting reagent) form instead of sandostatin (octreotide, the current US standard) in the treatment of carcinoid syndrome.  Somatostatin is used in Britain (as lanreotide) but in a substantially different formulation. This formula is pasireotide.

:hot-here: I need a quick degree in biomedical science, chemistry or something similar.

Swatopluk

Kulturgeschichte des Klimas (A Cultural History of Climate)

Opsa

Speaking of gasping for air, I'm still trying to get through The Kite Runner but it's so emotionally draining I keep pushing it to the bottom of the stack.

(Hey Chatty, are those steel toed boots or steel toad boots?)