News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 25, 2006, 05:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on November 23, 2007, 10:37:40 PM
Smilla's Sense of Snow--novel by some Danish guy that has letters in his name I can't type.

Totally brilliant novel. So are his others.

I've been working up the strength to begin Human Traces - Sebastian Faulk.

I decided to give it to several people for Christmas so I thought I'd read it to check suitability.

So far, it just sits by my side, silently reproaching me for spending my time at The Monastery instead.

It's a bit much when one has to do research for Christmas :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Lol, it is an excellent novel.

Rereading "Making Money"
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Swatopluk

A book with essays on or by Charles Babbage centered on his calculating engines
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Chatty

Playscript of Angels in America
This sig area under construction.

"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

<shameless plug>

re-reading (and doing some rather late editing) something I wrote online: http://dorkanese.deviantart.com/art/I-Could-Be-Arrested-71848721

</shameless plug>

Darlica

I'm reading

http://dorkanese.deviantart.com/art/I-Could-Be-Arrested-71848721

You are a very good writer Kanola.
I feels odd to say that I enjoyed reading it but I did and with people like you around there is still hope!

I'm already scared about the political state of USA and the many of the European countries too as the willingly follow big brother USA like lambs to the slaughter, so no you don't manage to scare me more, but please let someone around here know your real name, or tell people dear to you to post here if something should happen, just so you know that we will get the facts we need to to raise hell should that be needed.

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Thank you!
DaveL and Anthro have my facebook. And I have an extensive list of friends on dA, and I've dragged a few other of my smarter friends on here (they never post, but the lurk and know I'm here), so I think I've got enough contingency plans, and you guys will at least know.

Sibling Chatty

I am very proud of you. Both this piece and the one here about the Simians...excellent.

I'm thinking a little bit of word usage and a tighter spellcheck on the Simians one, and maybe submitting it to some places like AlterNet might be a possibility. (Between and among..I forget where in the Simians I noticed it, but I did...gotta fix that. It's my pet error, 95% of the world doesn't know or care, but it bothers me. Go figure.)

Speaking out about abuses, about the desecration of our lives and liberties is never wrong.
This sig area under construction.

Thank you! That means an awful lot coming from both of you. :)

I'm ALWAYS looking for critiques...what word usages do I need to change?  I'll have to double check my spelling *wanders off to edit*...

Bruder Cuzzen

Hey Squidly !

Brilliant rant...Mad Will sends his love . Your Cuzz can't get enough  writing of such quality...that is one reason he loves the Monastery .
I  can't get enough of Toadfish writing in general , Chatty and Bluenoses' essays are (IMHO)  compelling compositions with elegant style(s) and technical mastery .... makes reading and thinking fun.

Where do I find the "Simians" thread ?

...for some reason I still think of you as a middle aged guy , don't know why...

Regards , BC

Thanks!
Not sure why you think of me that way either, but go figure.

http://toadfishmonastery.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=32&topic=1021.0
This is the "Simian" thread.

Swatopluk

Das Kino der Angst (The cinema of fear), a study on American war movies and the influences on and by them.

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Quote from: Swatopluk on December 03, 2007, 08:55:08 AM
A book with essays on or by Charles Babbage centered on his calculating engines

Very cool.  That's not available online, is it?

Even if it's not, could you share the title?  I might want to scour the libraries for it... assuming it's not in the form of a collection of punchcards.

I just finished the Collected Writings of Thomas Paine (well, not all of them... I focused on Common Sense and Age of Reason).  I'm currently reading an English translation of the Bhagavad Gita, one of the Hindu scriptures.  Good stuff so far.

Swatopluk

Bernhard Dotzler (editor), Babbages Rechen-Automate (1995)
Except for the introduction the texts are contemporary (by Babbage, his son etc.)
I bought it cheaply when a great bookstore (with a very long tradition) went bankrupt a few years ago.
---
Robert Harris, Pompeii